3% Hydrogen Peroxide and water for several days

izverycool

May 21, 2019
For several days, I've been using the same bucket of water mixed with 3% Hydrogen peroxide on several pieces and have gotten them in much better condition than they previously were. Here, I've had 90+ degree days this week, so I thought it was the right time to do it. I'm novice to it, but seen it done several times in David's videos. I have only been able to locate one bottle of the Volume 40 hydrogen peroxide (the creamy kind, have not tried it yet). The liquid 3% is easy to find anywhere it seems. I'm not at home for most of the day (seeing girlfriend, working, etc), so I just put it in and leave it all day long to be out. I've taken comparison pictures, I've been retrobrighting 2 VIC-20's that were severely yellowed.

First VIC20 was as dark as the bottom piece, I retrobrighted the top piece last year to see if it would actually work. The bottom piece was my first piece this week in the same liquid. It worked pretty good. I had it outside for 2 days, after one day it seemed to be as bright as it would get. The 2nd day didn't seem to do much at all. I know it's not 100% (looking at the inside edge, it's brighter). 1st and 2nd pics.

Second VIC20 was lighter on the top upon receiving it, bottom piece was just as yellowed as the first VIC20. Same as the first VIC20, used the same water and 3% Hydrogen peroxide as before. The bottom piece is the only one I worked on this week, I'll have the top piece in tomorrow to lighten it up some. 3rd and 4th pics. The camera flash was wonky on this one, sorry. The bottom piece was severely yellowed, the top piece was in better condition.

In my testing, I've noticed that one day of being out seems to do the trick, 2nd day doesn't seem to improve much at all. Doesn't seem to matter about having fresh hydrogen peroxide or water.

I'm just wondering - David swears by the Volume 40 hydrogen peroxide, is there any advantage it has other than it being quicker? I'm just using the 88 cent 3% bottle from Walmart and it seems to have done me good this whole week on several pieces. I thought that the 3% wouldn't work this good or last this long, I always thought I'd have to spend an arm and a leg on the Volume 40 bottles (and dump the "spent chemical" after each use) because "it's better than the 3%".

Attachments

Last edited:

cml37

Staff member
May 19, 2019
Washington, D.C. Area
Glad you got those results! I recently tried 3% as well... with mixed results. I think that the sunlight really is a key component, and perhaps the higher volume stuff serves as an accelerator over the lower volume stuff, but I'm far from an expert.

izverycool

May 21, 2019
I noticed that in my experiments that the 4 rubber feet on the bottom of the one VIC20 started to feel sticky...no wonder The 8-Bit Guy has to replace them on some of his restorations. It doesn't seem to be as significant as the ones he was showing in his videos though. I have to say that the retrobright process like this makes the rubber feet go bad.

HornsOverIthaca

Jun 2, 2019
That's true.

I'm trying to Volume 40 liquid now in a very similar situation to you. I put the keyboard and mouse parts into the mixture in a clear plastic container, covered it with plastic, and left it on the back porch for two days. It definitely works, but some of the results look a bit mottled or have subtle splotches. I think this was caused by the plastic parts heating up and rising up to the air, or I may have too much H202 and not enough water in my mixture. I'm trying part of an SNES shell now.

I have had luck with the direct sunlight approach. Brought the face of my Power Mac 8500 back to platinum in about a week. I'm going to try direct sunlight for however long it takes on this massively yellowed power strip next.