A vintage 710 problem

cloneof

Jun 8, 2019
Hi!

There has been an old 710 in our parents' basement. I remember writing a simple calculator with its basic some twenty years ago.

I thought about perhaps giving it/selling it away, as it doesn't receive the love it deserves in our household. Hooked it up and noticed that the monitor it is attached has become busted over the years, damn. I can, however, hear the distinct noises of a fan when I start the machine.

I was wondering if there a 4.0 basic command for sound, as I can see that there is an audio jack at the back of it, so I could at least check if the computer is operating outside the attached monitor?

May 22, 2019
First, that’s an amazing find. I wish I had room for one of those, as I’m looking for a vintage machine to use as a terminal.

Second... there is a 5 pin video jack on the back, at least in the pictures I’ve seen. That should allow you to test with an external monitor.

cloneof

Jun 8, 2019
First, that’s an amazing find. I wish I had room for one of those, as I’m looking for a vintage machine to use as a terminal.

Second... there is a 5 pin video jack on the back, at least in the pictures I’ve seen. That should allow you to test with an external monitor.
Sorry to contradict you, but as you can see from this video:

The standard 710 does not have an extra video output of any kind.

May 22, 2019
Oh, that’s a bummer.

Looking at the BASIC 4 manual, all of the added commands seem to be for disk access. I don’t see anything for sound.

cloneof

Jun 8, 2019
Oh boy, I have been an idiot!

It has a SID-chip! There must of course be some POKE command I can use to get that chip singing. The memory is of course all around different from C64, so I must start searching them at almost random, but that's what VICE is for.