About the case for the Commander X16 (Im not sure if this is the right channel)

POTTU98

Mar 14, 2020
Finland
I love the idea of the X16, but the case worries me. Me, and many other people would propably like to see something that looks very 80's.
So my idea is 2 cases, case 1: A computer case that would be very similar to the Commodore 128 as the C128 is full of 1980's.
The other idea is a case that looks more like a IBM pc clone, as those things look cool, have a lot of space inside and a monitor can be sat on the top of them.
I know that these ideas are almost impossible but... I would still love to see that

May 22, 2019
I love the idea of the X16, but the case worries me. Me, and many other people would propably like to see something that looks very 80's.
So my idea is 2 cases, case 1: A computer case that would be very similar to the Commodore 128 as the C128 is full of 1980's.
The other idea is a case that looks more like a IBM pc clone, as those things look cool, have a lot of space inside and a monitor can be sat on the top of them.
I know that these ideas are almost impossible but... I would still love to see that
you are not the only person who would like to see that. You are welcome, of course, to build one and share your design with others... or even pool resources to manufacture something.

Reactions: CK75

StephenH

Feb 4, 2020
Something that the X16 team has made very clear is that bespoke cases, while they would be awesome, are prohibitively expensive for the project. They would increase the cost of the X16 disproportionately to the rest of the hardware. A lot of design work and tooling is required as part of creating bespoke cases, and the small quantity that's expected from the run means that economies of scale do not offset that cost.

And no, they can't just crowdsource to folks' 3D printers. 3D printing has its own costs, is highly time consuming, and consumer printers are frequently unreliable and inconsistent.

My understanding is that if the community wants to design bespoke cases and pass the files around among each other, for those who have 3D printers, they're welcome to do so.