Alternatives to purchasing arcade decals for the Bartop Arcade cabinet

ayanefan

Aug 29, 2019
Hey everyone,

Total noob here so sorry if this may have been asked before. I would like to put a decal on the side of the Bartop Arcade but want to know if there is an alternative to purchasing it online. I have an inkjet printer that can print 13x19 and would like to know if anyone tried printing and sticking their own and if it lasts.
Thanks
ayanefan

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
Some inkjet inks fade over time in the sun light. Dye based inks will fade, pigment based inks won't at least nearly as much. I don't know if all Inkjet ink is more fade resistant now, or if some are more fade resistant still.

If you look at The 8 bit guy's videos on making replacement Labels:

Part way through this one he made new labels for the one mini arcade unit.

He used a color laser printer. Toner won't fade, unlike some inkjet inks. You can expect the label adhesive to fail at some point, just like the old retro Labels he replaced, with similar failures. It depends on the quality of the adhesive used. Also if you are using Inkjet Ink, and try a spray adhesive, it could make the ink bleed (where laser printer toner won't). Packing tape adhesive will potentially fail over time as well.

Still I would expect it to hold up for years before anything serious, short of too much sunlight. I made similar labels with an inkjet printer on Avery Labels so I didn't need a spray adhesive, and I used Packing Tape to cover them too over 20 years ago. They held up a long time. I think I have some around somewhere, the adhesive failed a number of years ago and they fell off what I had them on, but the labels looked pretty good still.

ayanefan

Aug 29, 2019
Thank you very much for the reply. I am sorry it took so long, wife kicked me out of my computer room so she could make it into a study room for herself :( . Just got everything setup again in the cold, dark basement. Looks like most bartop stickers need to be done on Sub Dye or laser, most inkjets will not do well when trying to stick it to the sides. Also, vinyl paper is dang expensive. It's a pro shop printing or Etsy for me then. :)