Antique floppy disks can harm your computer (Youtube)

Dale Mahalko

Jul 25, 2019
I hope a little self-promotion is okay here.. I have just uploaded an amateurish, uncut, single-shot, unmiked, unedited iPhone video documenting the problems you can have using antique floppy disks, and how a failing disk can make you have a really bad day with your old hardware....

I have nothing like the production standards of 8-Bit Guy or Techmoan.. just an iphone on a tripod. But the information itself should be high enough value in this crude format.

Dale Mahalko

Jul 25, 2019
So as a followup to this, has anyone else experienced this? It seems doubtful I am the only one to have this happen to them, and it is probably starting to affect other floppy-based computers beyond just the Apple II series.

The bad disks that poison the drive mechanism do not seem to have been treated any differently from any other, so at this point I have no explanation for why they might be bad but others continue to work fine.

This is also a very strong reason why if you have any old disks that you want to preserve, you should be making disk images of them, because they too may eventually suffer from disk rot and go bad on you.