Anyone compiled x16emu for Raspberry Pi yet ?

Funnybones

Sep 12, 2019
I had a go at compiling it this morning.
It all seemed to compile fine but when run it doesn't do much although the -log option shows writes to video.

Its probably because I don't have any kind of X11 on my pi zero.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried this as the pi would make a nice little stand alone dev platform while we wait for the final hardware. Besides that I really have to start using all these raspberry Pi's I have lying around :p

anyway, this is how I compiled it :

Code:
* Git clone repo *
cd to source folder

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-dev

make

copy x16emu to a folder (we dont want to run it in the git repo)
copy rom.bin,chargen.bin to the same folder as compiled binary.
chmod +x x16emu (may not need to do this)

Funnybones

Sep 12, 2019
Raspberry Pi 4...what?! :-D

I built it on my 4G Pi 4 today .. still only runs at 40 - 50 % (I'm assuming this indicates emulation speed)

A bit disappointing. I kind of like the idea of having a dedicated emmy plugged into the big tv in the lounge so I can poke and peek like its 1985 :p

May 22, 2019
I built it on my 4G Pi 4 today .. still only runs at 40 - 50 % (I'm assuming this indicates emulation speed)
That sounds about right. VICE can only manage about 400% on my Pi, which would be about 4MHz. So I'd only expect the CX16 emu to run at about half speed.

mobluse

Sep 20, 2019
How do you set maximum speed of VICE using the command line, and how do you see which speed you have? I tried:
x64 +warp
I use VICE 3.3 compiled by myself in Raspbian Buster and run on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1 with 4 GB RAM and I configured 256 MB GPU RAM. Commander X16 emulator on the same system runs in 49%.

May 22, 2019
It's been a while since I've used the SDL version, so I don't remember precisely how to do it there.

I just set up Alt-W to toggle warp mode. So my usual practice is to mount a disk image, start a LOAD, then hit alt-W to speed up the system until the program is loaded. Then I hit alt-W again and RUN the program. If I recall, the speed is displayed at the bottom of the window, in the border area, when you have that turned on in the settings.

Swift34

Oct 2, 2019
VA, US

A bit disappointing. I kind of like the idea of having a dedicated emmy plugged into the big tv in the lounge so I can poke and peek like its 1985 :p
:cry:

Hopefully it will get better with time!

mobluse

Sep 20, 2019
I have the SDL2 version of VICE 3.3, but I could not find how to switch on showing of speed.