Are you posting updates here or just FB for the Commander X16?

Jesse Litton

Sep 14, 2019
Well, thanks for mirroring the info here. Those of us that long ago left Facebook because we got tired of debunking urban legends and listening to our friends nonsensical political rants really appreciate it.

cml37

Staff member
May 19, 2019
Washington, D.C. Area
Don’t give me any credit. This is the brainchild of Brothers David and Mike Murray. I and a few others just lend a hand to keep the peace and kick trolls to the curb. =)
Haha! That said, there is no question that @TomXP411 is truly MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE here!! It goes without question that all of the staff appreciates the work that he does on the forum!

Reactions: PowerfulBadBoy

WAUthethird

Sep 19, 2019
I think a Discord server would work very well here - it'd be a much healthier and less creepy alternative to the confusing and oddly-structured mess that is Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account, and I don't ever plan on creating one, so this would be awesome.

x7c

Sep 15, 2019
@TomXP411 So you must have a FB account and be joined to the group. Do you know, is there no way to make a FB group public, as in no sign in required to view the content? If so, why don't they do that? I'd at least like to read it. If not possible, can you start a discussion over there about using FB? Everything about this project is open, except the discussion. It shouldn't be locked behind a pay-with-your-personal-information-wall, and it shouldn't be lost to history when FB decides to close shop or delete old groups.

Reactions: ClockworkCoder
May 22, 2019
I... don't really have an answer for you there. I don't have any say in how the FB group is run; I'm just a member there like anyone else. I have seen some other media types moving to FB simply because it gets more attention right now than any other form of social media (including, sadly, Internet forums.)

If the Facebook group gets 30-40 posts a day, and we get five here... three of which are "hey, guys! My name is Steve," then you can understand why David and the team would spend their time over there.

I agree with you - I'd rather see a forum as the primary locus of discussion. David and Mike opened this forum for that reason... but they haven't advertised it, so I don't really have any suggestions, other than to maybe email @The8BitGuy and tell him your thoughts.

ClockworkCoder

Sep 12, 2019
I'd rather see a forum as the primary locus of discussion. David and Mike opened this forum for that reason... but they haven't advertised it, so I don't really have any suggestions, other than to maybe email @The8BitGuy and tell him your thoughts.
That's a catch-22, and the forum won't magically become more used unless people are encouraged to come here for discussion. There's nothing to stop them posting links to the forum from FB is there, after all, there's also an important and loyal niche of potential customers that could be neglected by ignoring the forum.

By the way, I'm subscribed and actively post in another niche open hardware device's forum. It's extremely popular (albeit, niche), and many of the supporters do not and will not use FB at all, and under any circumstances. They also pay a lot of money to support development.

The average user will come here if it's "the" place to find new information and ask questions. I'm sure OAuth and FB user-login support could be added to the forum too, could it, if people are reticent about signing up.

PowerfulBadBoy

Jul 17, 2019
Quick question: Are facebook groups closed off to non users by facebook itself or is this a setting that was selected by the owners?

If it's the latter, I'm not sure why they did this. I can't really see any privacy concerns that would arise from it being opened up.
If the group was open for guests to view it would be a boon to discussion over here (as well as any other retro computing forums who have threads on the x16) as we'd all know what was currently going on in development.

Brendan Kidwell

Sep 18, 2019
New York City
www.glump.net
If the Facebook group gets 30-40 posts a day, and we get five here... three of which are "hey, guys! My name is Steve," then you can understand why David and the team would spend their time over there.
I've refused to rejoin Facebook for SIGs in the past, and I refuse to do so now. I love this project but I am taking a moral stance against Facebook.

I wish I had a good resolution. Telling all the Facebook SIG members that their forum is now deprecated simply won't work.

Reactions: tomseago and Mike

Brendan Kidwell

Sep 18, 2019
New York City
www.glump.net
Quick question: Are facebook groups closed off to non users by facebook itself or is this a setting that was selected by the owners?
I've seen Facebook groups that are publicly readable by anonymous users, but they have an annoying banner covering the lower third of the document frame, saying you're a bad person because you're not logged into Facebook.

gertk

Oct 7, 2019
Hear Hear, I abandoned FB long time ago, never regretted it. Too much information, too much distraction and too much nonsense on FB.
Searched for this forum and found it :) So please keep updating here..