Atari 800XL project... advice needed.

dcarlson314

Jun 25, 2019
Hey all!

I've recently bought a couple of 800XL's both with "Type 4" (SCCO) keyboards. One of them hasn't arrived yet, but I'm anticipating the same issue with the one I have now.

Of course, there's oxidation happening on the mylar connector. It's happening at the mobo connection point and the rust travels up about 2-3 inches. It doesn't look promising but I'm hoping I can save this keyboard. I'm planning to take it apart, clean it up and "paint-stakingly" apply conductive material back on the traces.

Are there alternative solutions that will future-proof this thing?

Thanks for your time!
-DC

Dale Mahalko

Jul 25, 2019
I am not familiar with this keyboard, but mylar ribbon cables are still used in new products, so it may be possible to remove and replace the damaged cable.

One example source for ribbon cables is a huge industrial supplier like DigiKey, but there are others of course.

Lots of options.

Pitch:
  • 0.012" (0.30mm)
  • 0.020" (0.50mm)
  • 0.039" (1.00mm)
  • 0.049" (1.25mm)
  • 0.050" (1.27mm)
  • 0.075" (1.91mm)
  • 0.079" (2.00mm)
  • 0.100" (2.54mm)
  • 0.125" (3.18mm)
  • 0.150" (3.81mm)
  • 0.156" (3.96mm)
  • 0.200" (5.08mm)
Termination style:
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides with Pitch Bars (2.54mm Pitch)
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides with Protective Tab
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Kinked
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Right Angle
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Right Angle, Kinked
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Right Angle, Staggered Pins
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Staggered
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Staggered and Straight Pins
  • Top on Both Sides, Backers on Both Sides
  • Top on Both Sides, No Backers
  • Top on One Side, Bottom on Other, Backers on Both Sides
The main concern when buying from an industrial electronic part supplier like DigiKey, is to check for minimum quantities. Some products may only be available if you buy 100 of them, rather than just one.

You will also need to accurately measure the pitch of the wire conductors with a metalworking steel ruler graduated in millimeters, to be certain the new part will align correctly with the board connectors and solder pads.

Also products on a part supplier like this will provide links to a detailed product catalog page as a JPG or product PDF. Review these carefully to make sure the new part will be an appropriate match for the old version.

dcarlson314

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks so much for the help! I checked out the site and looked around for anything close to the Atari mylar connection, but I'll admit I was very skeptical since it's quite a proprietary connector unique to that build of that machine.

I think there might be a way to rebuild this but it'll have to wait for another time slot for me to even think about contemplating the idea of possibly attempting the act of looking into it. :unsure:

Thanks again!!

I am not familiar with this keyboard, but mylar ribbon cables are still used in new products, so it may be possible to remove and replace the damaged cable.

One example source for ribbon cables is a huge industrial supplier like DigiKey, but there are others of course.

Lots of options.

Pitch:
  • 0.012" (0.30mm)
  • 0.020" (0.50mm)
  • 0.039" (1.00mm)
  • 0.049" (1.25mm)
  • 0.050" (1.27mm)
  • 0.075" (1.91mm)
  • 0.079" (2.00mm)
  • 0.100" (2.54mm)
  • 0.125" (3.18mm)
  • 0.150" (3.81mm)
  • 0.156" (3.96mm)
  • 0.200" (5.08mm)
Termination style:
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides with Pitch Bars (2.54mm Pitch)
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides with Protective Tab
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Kinked
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Right Angle
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Right Angle, Kinked
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Right Angle, Staggered Pins
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Staggered
  • Completely Exposed Wires on Both Sides, Staggered and Straight Pins
  • Top on Both Sides, Backers on Both Sides
  • Top on Both Sides, No Backers
  • Top on One Side, Bottom on Other, Backers on Both Sides
The main concern when buying from an industrial electronic part supplier like DigiKey, is to check for minimum quantities. Some products may only be available if you buy 100 of them, rather than just one.

You will also need to accurately measure the pitch of the wire conductors with a metalworking steel ruler graduated in millimeters, to be certain the new part will align correctly with the board connectors and solder pads.

Also products on a part supplier like this will provide links to a detailed product catalog page as a JPG or product PDF. Review these carefully to make sure the new part will be an appropriate match for the old version.