BASIC for Arduino

May 22, 2019
So I've been looking for a BASIC interpreter for Arduino, and I'm coming up empty.

I'd like it to use the Microsoft or BBC syntax, and I'd like for it to be able to load from and save to SD card and use the USB port as a serial terminal.

I have developed a BASIC friendly terminal emulator and plan to eventually develop an interface that works on Gameduino or VERA.

For performance reasons, I do not want a CPU emulator, like RunCPM. I'd like a native interpreter.

Has anyone found a useful BASIC interpreter that runs on Arduino?

May 22, 2019
Thanks, I don't think I've seen that one. I have seen Tiny BASIC, and it's inadequate (I think it only does integer math), but the PLUS version might be improved. I'll have to check that out.

I think someone has been working on a BBC implementation, as well, but I'd need to see it to believe it.

Quite frankly, I think I'm going to end up back where I was 6 months ago, considering just building my own BASIC interpreter. I actually had a working parser and tokenizer, then got sidetracked onto other things while working on the expression solver, stuff like 2 + a * 3 / 6 ^ int(13) - 6.

I got there, then got sidetracked, and haven't been back.

mobluse

Sep 20, 2019
I don't think any TinyBasic has float out of the box, but Arduino UNO C++ (i.e. the Arduino IDE language) has float and then I think it would be rather easy to change all calculations in the BASIC source code from int to float.