C128 only Displaying Shades of Gray (No color)

PitMan71

Feb 19, 2020
Alabama
I have a c128 and a 1902A monitor and while have gotten the needed cables and everything to work I am only getting shades of gray in 40 column mode. I have tried two different cables (8 pin din to RCA and 8 pin to 5 pin), both with the same results. I verified that the monitor can display color with my NES. AND I connected the C128 to another TV in the house via RCA and it is displaying color. Am i missing something with the connection to the 1902A? Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Shane

Last edited:

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
There should also the 8 Pin Din to the 6 Pin Din port on the back of the monitor for the Separate Video. Which should be the best connection. If you aren't getting Color on the Composite port from the C128 to the monitor I would doubt you would get color on the Separate Video either.

My guess would be that they are not the same video standard, one possibly being PAL and the other being NTSC. With no reference to the "TV", LCD TVs can often take either standard.

I am not sure how you tell the difference on the C128 beyond checking if the VIC-II E chip is a PAL or NTSC Model.
  • MOS Technology 8566 – VIC-II E (PAL-B) C128 version
  • MOS Technology 8569 – VIC-II E (PAL-N) C128 version
  • MOS Technology 8564 – VIC-II E C128 version NTSC

PitMan71

Feb 19, 2020
Alabama
There should also the 8 Pin Din to the 6 Pin Din port on the back of the monitor for the Separate Video. Which should be the best connection. If you aren't getting Color on the Composite port from the C128 to the monitor I would doubt you would get color on the Separate Video either.

My guess would be that they are not the same video standard, one possibly being PAL and the other being NTSC. With no reference to the "TV", LCD TVs can often take either standard.

I am not sure how you tell the difference on the C128 beyond checking if the VIC-II E chip is a PAL or NTSC Model.
That would be weird.... I may have to open it up and have a look. Thanks for the reply.
Shane

May 22, 2019

I believe there's a PEEK you can do to see whether the system is running NTSC or PAL mode.

Run this in 64 mode:

10 A=PEEK (678)
20 IF A=0 THEN ? "NTSC"
30 IF A=1 THEN ? "PAL"

Reactions: Markeno

PitMan71

Feb 19, 2020
Alabama
Okay... Ran that as you suggested and it is saying NTSC..... This really isn't adding up. I know that the C128 is outputting color and I know that the 1902a receives color. Together tho I am not getting color. I feel like I am missing something. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Shane

May 22, 2019
Are you using the Y/C jacks? Do you have the yellow wire going to the Y jack and the red wire going to the C jack? Double-check the input select switch, to make sure that it's got a solid connection (the one on my 1702 was a little dirty and needed some wiggling to get a color signal.)