Can I get my old mac on the internet?

wahoke

Sep 22, 2019
I purchased a Macintosh Performa 600 this weekend as my first vintage computer to restore. My wife has gotten excited about it and is wanting to get some software from her childhood on it for our daughter to play. The only thing is, I don't have a modern computer with a floppy drive and I think it would be cool to do everything from the old mac. I see it has n 8 pin mini-din connector for the modem. My question is: Can I use an 8 pin mini-din to RJ45 cable to do this?

Dale Mahalko

Jul 25, 2019
The 8-pin connector is a serial port. If you wanted to access the Internet, then you need a dial-up connection service, an external serial modem, and an 8-pin serial to DB-25 cable. The maximum speed of any dial-up modem is 56,000 bits per second, or 0.00056 megabits/sec.

Though, this may not be enough, because the early Macintosh operating systems had no built-in support for Internet access in the operating system. You may need additional software to make this work. It's been a looooong time, but PPP or SLIP is needed. I do not recall when Apple finally started including networking by default.. maybe System 8 or so?

If there are no built-in tools for Internet access, you can't do anything unless you can obtain and install them first.

This model of Macintosh does not have built-in Ethernet networking. Some Performa models had slots, and if yours does, you would need to find an Ethernet card for it, which at the point is going to be rather difficult because they are weird, using an old Mac slot standard called NuBus.

The card may not directly have a twisted-pair connector but rather an AAUI port which needs a converter adapter to make it into a modern common ethernet port.

And finally, using an old Mac on the modern Internet is going to be extremely painful and broken in the literal sense, as any web browser for it is utterly obsolete and most modern websites will not load correctly.

You would be able to download from FTP sites... if you know what that is, and you if can find a still running SimTel FTP mirror server, and you know how to use old file decompression and extraction tools like ShrinkIt (SHK files) and HQX files. If you are lucky you will find ShrinkIt Self-Extracting files (.SEA) so you don't need ShrinkIt installed first.

Last edited:
Reactions: wahoke

wahoke

Sep 22, 2019
Thank you, Dale. That was what I was afraid of after my research, but I wanted to make sure. I really appreciate the thorough explanation. I did not realize even the Ethernet card for the NuBus slot would have had a different port than modern versions. Again, thank you so much!

Dale Mahalko

Jul 25, 2019
Oh yeah... you also needed MacTCP for the early Macs.

Just go read that article. I forgot all about that. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with any of that anymore. :D

Fortunately it looks like you may be able to run MacOS 8.1 which should have Open Transport rather than MacTCP:

• requires System 7.1P to 7.6.1
  • Run Mac OS 8.1 on your ‘030 Mac, Charles W Moore, Applelinks, 8/8/00. “Born Again enables certain 68030 Macs to support Mac OS 8.1.”

May 22, 2019
Note that you can use a null modem serial connection to connect to a modern computer, such as a Raspberry Pi.

From there, you can use TCPSer to provide a faux-dialup modem, PPP to provide TCP/IP via serial, or just run a terminal on the serial port to give you a shell prompt. Using a telcom program on the Mac, you could then transfer files via serial cable.

I'm not sure if there are removable USB mass storage solutions, similar to the Gotek, but that's another thing I'd look at.

Matt_PC-1

Oct 8, 2019
I purchased a Macintosh Performa 600 this weekend as my first vintage computer to restore. My wife has gotten excited about it and is wanting to get some software from her childhood on it for our daughter to play. The only thing is, I don't have a modern computer with a floppy drive and I think it would be cool to do everything from the old mac. I see it has n 8 pin mini-din connector for the modem. My question is: Can I use an 8 pin mini-din to RJ45 cable to do this?
From the specs, there are expansion slots for which there would have been ethernet cards made. I know they made a combo card for a PDS slot that included an FPU socket (FPU sold separately) and ethernet. I purchased one of these for my Mac IIsi and it now does 10-baseT networking (with an adapter for modern cables). This will work with MacTCP (or with Linux if you're crazy enough to try installing it).

You will have to do some hunting. For the Mac IIsi, I found a TECHWORKS Ethernet Kit with THIN/THICK network connector (need converter for modern cables) and FPU socket. I purchased the FPU separately.

If you're interested in this kind of solution, let me know and I'll try to track down my hardware source (some guy in NY with lots of new-old-stock and used Mac stuff).