Can't remember how I got here....

TwinTurbo

Dec 9, 2019
I have never really been a Youtube watcher, except for the ocasional how to "Replace the Brushes on a XYZ washing Machine" , "Build a Fish pond Filter bed" .... Etc...

I have many interests, some of which I am skilled in and others I am a novice. One such interest is in electronic music (80's synth) and somehow I stumbled upon Davids 8-Bit Keys... and watched a lot of that, and somehow found DR MIX too (before I knew they had collaborated).. I buy and sell all sorts of stuff as a sideline, amature Synths of the fairly mundane variety pass through my hands on a regular basis and I always have a little tinkle but my skills are very rudimentary . I buy stock from the locah auction room and the night after watching the PSR-470 video I was amazed to find one as a LOT at the auction... Unfortunately not winning and been searching since....

So I was hooked on Keys and DR Mix...

I had not realised that Keys was a sideline, and then delved into the main 8Bit Guy Stuff....

Being in my mid 40's I grew up with 8Bits.. I progressed from a Spectrum 48K to a +3 before moving on to a Trigem PC88e IBM clone.. From there it was PC's all the way. Over the years I bought and eventually sold on a number of machines.

Spectrums of all types
Sinclair QL
Amstrad CPC's
Amstrad GX4000
C128 (Liked that one)
Many C64's
+4, VIC 20
A500's and 600's
ST's
NES/SNES/etc...
Dragon 32!
RM 380Z x 2
BBC B & Master
And more.
MSX
Intellivision

I am now an "IT Infrastructure Engineer" by trade, sort of the swiss army knife of the IT Department.

Over the past few years I have dabbled with arduinos for various projects, none of which ever got finished.

My Son and I are into stage lighting, so we did build a MIDI controller for the lighting software QLC+ . This is Arduino based and uses a 64 Channel Analog MUX to read up to 64 Faders or buttons. Notes+Volts gave me some ideas on that one...

And I also follow the Speeduino which is an arduino based Car Engine management Computer. I am building a Lotus 7 Style Kit car ....

So there's lots of ideas running through my head, and various projects to think about...

My electronics skills are rusty at best, my coding requires modernising ( I learned Pascal and most of my code these days is BASH scripts ). I can swap a car engine though... My musical skills are poor but the whole analog synth thing is cool.

Finding a working 8Bit of any type is nigh on impossible now at the local "Junk Sales" but I remain ever hopeful..

Rob

cml37

Staff member
May 19, 2019
Washington, D.C. Area
I have never really been a Youtube watcher, except for the ocasional how to "Replace the Brushes on a XYZ washing Machine" , "Build a Fish pond Filter bed" .... Etc...

I have many interests, some of which I am skilled in and others I am a novice. One such interest is in electronic music (80's synth) and somehow I stumbled upon Davids 8-Bit Keys... and watched a lot of that, and somehow found DR MIX too (before I knew they had collaborated).. I buy and sell all sorts of stuff as a sideline, amature Synths of the fairly mundane variety pass through my hands on a regular basis and I always have a little tinkle but my skills are very rudimentary . I buy stock from the locah auction room and the night after watching the PSR-470 video I was amazed to find one as a LOT at the auction... Unfortunately not winning and been searching since....

So I was hooked on Keys and DR Mix...

I had not realised that Keys was a sideline, and then delved into the main 8Bit Guy Stuff....

Being in my mid 40's I grew up with 8Bits.. I progressed from a Spectrum 48K to a +3 before moving on to a Trigem PC88e IBM clone.. From there it was PC's all the way. Over the years I bought and eventually sold on a number of machines.

Spectrums of all types
Sinclair QL
Amstrad CPC's
Amstrad GX4000
C128 (Liked that one)
Many C64's
+4, VIC 20
A500's and 600's
ST's
NES/SNES/etc...
Dragon 32!
RM 380Z x 2
BBC B & Master
And more.
MSX
Intellivision

I am now an "IT Infrastructure Engineer" by trade, sort of the swiss army knife of the IT Department.

Over the past few years I have dabbled with arduinos for various projects, none of which ever got finished.

My Son and I are into stage lighting, so we did build a MIDI controller for the lighting software QLC+ . This is Arduino based and uses a 64 Channel Analog MUX to read up to 64 Faders or buttons. Notes+Volts gave me some ideas on that one...

And I also follow the Speeduino which is an arduino based Car Engine management Computer. I am building a Lotus 7 Style Kit car ....

So there's lots of ideas running through my head, and various projects to think about...

My electronics skills are rusty at best, my coding requires modernising ( I learned Pascal and most of my code these days is BASH scripts ). I can swap a car engine though... My musical skills are poor but the whole analog synth thing is cool.

Finding a working 8Bit of any type is nigh on impossible now at the local "Junk Sales" but I remain ever hopeful..

Rob
Welcome, Rob! You sound like a man of many talents. And I think the 40's is a great place to be :). Enjoy the forum!!