Cartridge Support? Writeable Disk Support?

davidpgil

Sep 13, 2019
Any updates on cartridge support and disk support? Are there any projects that are going to add this support as an expansion?

May 22, 2019
There does not appear to be a cartridge option. Instead, programs will have to use the bank-swapped RAM and load code from SD2IEC.

Disks should be no problem... the guys writing the firmware just need to get to the point where they can write to the IEC bus. That's just an issue of time.

davidpgil

Sep 13, 2019
There does not appear to be a cartridge option. Instead, programs will have to use the bank-swapped RAM and load code from SD2IEC.

Disks should be no problem... the guys writing the firmware just need to get to the point where they can write to the IEC bus. That's just an issue of time.
I would love to make a game on a cartridge and sell it on the X16. I hope that someone comes up with at least a cartridge expansion to the system. Would it be possible to at least write a game to an SD card and have it boot to a game directly inatead of navigating a menu?

davidpgil

Sep 13, 2019
I thought this has already been well explained. It's going to support IEC for drives. There are expansion ports also.
Would you mind sharing where this was well explained? I would not have asked if I could find it.

May 22, 2019
I would love to make a game on a cartridge and sell it on the X16. I hope that someone comes up with at least a cartridge expansion to the system. Would it be possible to at least write a game to an SD card and have it boot to a game directly inatead of navigating a menu?
David posted yesterday on FB about this. The system will have an auto boot option, and you will be able to load software from SD card. So It should be simple enough to set up a bootable SD card with your game.

Reactions: ToyMachine

Ewe_Loon

Sep 16, 2019
One possible option for Cartridges would be for some of the Basic Banks to be left unused , and the kernal to check them for an ID tag, and if it finds it, to execute the code in that bank, this would require the chip select for the unused banks to be on the expansion port
this would be easy enough to to implement on the next revision board

May 22, 2019
One possible option for Cartridges would be for some of the Basic Banks to be left unused , and the kernal to check them for an ID tag, and if it finds it, to execute the code in that bank, this would require the chip select for the unused banks to be on the expansion port
this would be easy enough to to implement on the next revision board
You will have the option to auto boot to a menu. I’m even writing a menu program that will let you go straight to your favorite programs.

And the SD reader will be fast. So there’s little reason to use cartridges, other than hardware expansion.

But they’ve got you covered there, with four hardware expansion ports. While they do not have access to take over the system bus like C64 cartridges do, they are more than enough for any expansion port accessory I’ve ever seen on the 64.

The only thing this would not let you do is something like the 1541 Ultimate or Turbo Chameleon, which completely takes over the system.

This is actually a good thing, because each port is isolated and so any four devices can work together, unlike trying to get 4 things to work together on a C64 cartridge port extender.

For games and programs, the “cartridge” will be an SD card. For hardware accessories, it will be the four expansion ports.

Reactions: BruceMcF

BruceMcF

May 19, 2019
Note on which side it is possible: if the user sets their CX16 to autoboot, then an autoboot SD card should just run. They say they will be full size SD cards, so at least there will be space for SOME art, and there should be some bigger program cases for proper art ... similar to how a Nintendo Switch or 3DS game is packaged.

But if they set it to go to menu, the card wouldn't be able to over-ride that. It's the user that is "in command" in the Commander X16. Presumably one of the menu options will be "boot SD card", which the user would use to boot a physical game release on an SD card.

Reactions: TomXP411