Check out my Pi1541 Build

TheGeekPub

The Geek Pub
Staff member
May 15, 2019
Keller, TX
www.thegeekpub.com
I built a Pi1541 and it is awesome! Check it out.

The Pi1541 emulates a real 1541 using a copy of the Commodore 1541 ROM and a 6502 CPU emulator. Pretty cool stuff!

May 22, 2019
Nicely done. I've been watching the progress of the Pi 1541 through the community ever since Gorack released it on Lemon64, and aside from the Ultimate series, this is probably the most amazing retro device to come out recently.

And that enclosure is fantastic. If only I had the space for a 3D printer...

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
I do really like that 3d printed case, but I don't have a 3d Printer either. So I went with something I happened to have laying around (yes it wasn't reasonably repairable). It was not quite finished when I took this picture of it.

IMG_20190512_152848738_HDR.jpg

It has been a great device. I probably put way to much time into mine, but I am very happy with how it turned out even though it isn't very compact.

Mike

Had one on my to-do list for ages, but I'm still completely undecided on how to put it together at the end. I'm leaning towards a little more exposed PCB, maybe use some clear acrylic sheeting that I've got kicking around. Right now, until some more parts show up in the post, it's far from elegant ... I think the LCD was the only thing I had to order specifically for this, everything else was kicking around in some drawer or another.

pi1541-wip.jpg

Reactions: TheGeekPub

WayneJ

Sep 20, 2019
Birmingham AL
I have been kicking the idea of hacking one of these together for a couple weeks. I can order all the parts I need from Amazon, but no matter how I cut it, it is still more expensive to order all this stuff individually than buy the kit on ebay so that is what I did. Unfortunately, I am gonna wait several weeks for it to arrive from overseas. However, watching Mike build his on YouTube did inspire me and I learned about Fritzing which is really cool. I do have a couple of questions about his build. 1 - As I understand it, the one Mike built is "option A" which means you cannot connect this unit along with other devices on the serial bus or risk frying your Pi. Is this correct? Seems like something you might have mentioned in the video or on the blog. 2 - In Mike's diagram, he did not show an actual picture of the Male connector pinout for the IEC DIN. Probably this is because it is very difficult to make custom objects in Fritzing (my one complaint about this program). I just think it is important to point out that pins 1 and 5 as well as 2 and 4 are flipped from the connector that is shown in the original Pi1541 diagram which uses the female connector. Below is my diagram...

Last edited:

TheGeekPub

The Geek Pub
Staff member
May 15, 2019
Keller, TX
www.thegeekpub.com
I have been kicking the idea of hacking one of these together for a couple weeks. I can order all the parts I need from Amazon, but no matter how I cut it, it is still more expensive to order all this stuff individually than buy the kit on ebay so that is what I did. Unfortunately, I am gonna wait several weeks for it to arrive from overseas. However, watching Mike build his on YouTube did inspire me and I learned about Fritzing which is really cool. I do have a couple of questions about his build. 1 - As I understand it, the one Mike built is "option A" which means you cannot connect this unit along with other devices on the serial bus or risk frying your Pi. Is this correct? Seems like something you might have mentioned in the video or on the blog. 2 - In Mike's diagram, he did not show an actual picture of the Male connector pinout for the IEC DIN. Probably this is because it is very difficult to make custom objects in Fritzing (my one complaint about this program). I just think it is important to point out that pins 1 and 5 as well as 2 and 4 are flipped from the connector that is shown in the original Pi1541 diagram which uses the female connector. Below is my diagram...
1. I did choose option A. There's no risk of damage that I know of. It's been a while since I did this project, but as I remember it, Option B is simply for allowing daisy chaining of additional drives.

2. Fritzing sucks big time for making new parts. And there is no reason for it to be that way. However, I don't think they pins are flipped. It's simply that a jack and plug are flipped. So if they showed a jack and you're wiring a plug, it would be flipped.

WayneJ

Sep 20, 2019
Birmingham AL
Looks like I cannot quite get the hang of posting pics in this forum. Try again...
pi1541_proto.png

WayneJ

Sep 20, 2019
Birmingham AL
1. I did choose option A. There's no risk of damage that I know of. It's been a while since I did this project, but as I remember it, Option B is simply for allowing daisy chaining of additional drives.

2. Fritzing sucks big time for making new parts. And there is no reason for it to be that way. However, I don't think they pins are flipped. It's simply that a jack and plug are flipped. So if they showed a jack and you're wiring a plug, it would be flipped.
Thanks for the reply Mike. And Thanks for all of the content you put out there for us.
So if I understand correctly, with your build, you could attach the pi1541 to the end of the chain (i.e. behind the actual 1541 disk drive) and there is no risk? I guess that make sense. So option B just gives you the ability to include more than one IEC connector so that your Pi1541 could be in the middle of the chain I guess. Thanks for the clarification.
As to question 2, I think we are saying the same thing, you are just phrasing it more clearly. Thanks again. I managed to post a diagram (I think) check it out.

WayneJ

Sep 20, 2019
Birmingham AL
I ordered some boards from PCBWay, and they arrived but some other bits are still in transit. Still, managed to get one together in simple mode. It'll do for the moment. Works well!
View attachment 209
I looked at ordering from PCB Way as well, but really did not need multiple ones (5). Wish I would have seen your post before I ordered the kit from ebay, I would have offered to buy an extra from you if you have some. Also, never got to the point of getting a quote for shipping from PCBW and was concerned about the shipping time. If you don't mind, could you share how much shipping was and how long it took for future reference? Very nice build. Are you planning to put it in a case?

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
Thanks for the reply Mike. And Thanks for all of the content you put out there for us.
So if I understand correctly, with your build, you could attach the pi1541 to the end of the chain (i.e. behind the actual 1541 disk drive) and there is no risk? I guess that make sense. So option B just gives you the ability to include more than one IEC connector so that your Pi1541 could be in the middle of the chain I guess. Thanks for the clarification.
As to question 2, I think we are saying the same thing, you are just phrasing it more clearly. Thanks again. I managed to post a diagram (I think) check it out.
For some clarity on the Option A Option B question.

With Option A you can "not" "safely" daisy chain the Pi1541 off of another physical (or other serial device) (or other devices off of it). It does not matter the order the drives are connected. When 2 or more devices are connected the current sent through the serial connection goes above the safe limit of the Pie's GPIO. Option B designs include another ic that works to buffer the signals between the Pi and the Commdore Serial port.

The Serial ports on the original disk drives, and the Pi1541 boards are just wired in parallel. There is no effective difference in what order they are connected to on another. You can build an Option B device, and not include the Second Serial Din and still Daisy Chain it by putting it into the second port of another drive. My Pi1541 only has 1 Serial Connector on it, but it is Option B (and a bit more), so I can chain it from another drive safely.

Last edited:

Mike

I looked at ordering from PCB Way as well, but really did not need multiple ones (5). Wish I would have seen your post before I ordered the kit from ebay, I would have offered to buy an extra from you if you have some. Also, never got to the point of getting a quote for shipping from PCBW and was concerned about the shipping time. If you don't mind, could you share how much shipping was and how long it took for future reference? Very nice build. Are you planning to put it in a case?
I got mine on via one of the cheapest shipping options and it took about 2 weeks. That's from China to Australia though, so unless you're also down here in the southern hemisphere, I don't know if that is a meaningful example for you.

It took about 3 weeks for absolutely everything to arrive - I had sockets and chips and switches ordered via Aliexpress as well, and the last of those only arrived within the last week or so. It took about a month for every single component I guess.

IMG_20190927_150354252_HDR.jpg

I still haven't settled on a case concept yet, I kind of want to build one with an integrated power supply, and I'm playing around with arrangements for a breakout board with the buttons and screen on it that can be placed just above the USB ports, so the Pi would be mounted with those at the front, and the IEC ports at the back.

In the meantime, it works great, so I'm not in a huge hurry.