Choosing a computer

NorseComputing

Feb 13, 2020
So i want to get myself an old machine, i like the dos - -> 95 era. primarily games.

I have found two machines i have the posibility to buy, but i am unsure which one of them are the best to get.

Toshiba T1850

Toshiba 420 CDT

I have not found much of information about any of the machines. sellers have no clue either, exept for them working and pictures of them.

Does anyone have any information about these and mabe some advice?

May 22, 2019
The 420 is apparently a 100MHz Pentium, where the T1850 is a 386.

All other things being equal, I'd probably choose the Pentium (The 420 CDT), since the larger, faster system will give you more options for DOS games and software.

Reactions: NorseComputing

NorseComputing

Feb 13, 2020
The 420 is apparently a 100MHz Pentium, where the T1850 is a 386.

All other things being equal, I'd probably choose the Pentium (The 420 CDT), since the larger, faster system will give you more options for DOS games and software.
Thanks for reply!
I was afraid the 420 CDT mabe was to new, i have heard of games going to fast cus of the faster processor. i also think the t1850 has no colors on the screen.

May 22, 2019
It's all going to depend on what you're doing.

Any program that runs too fast on the Pentium is likely to run too fast on the 1850, as well... this is because early PC games used simple loops to slow down the program, rather than relying on hardware timers.

Games written to work on 286 and 386 machines did not have that problem - they used the hardware timers to update the game's motion, so that movement would be consistent on all computers, no matter how fast they are.

Honestly, the number of games that will suffer from speedup like that is far smaller than the number of games that are unplayable on an 8088 XT, and since there are ways to mitigate that (for example, but using "slow down" TSR programs), I would only choose the 386 if it was an especially good deal or had a hardware feature you needed.

Personally, I use a 3GHz AthlonXP computer for DOS gaming... although I haven't actually done much with it, yet. =)