Commander X16 FAQ (From David Murray on Facebook)

May 22, 2019
Hey folks!
Unfortunately, I don't have Facebook (and not planning to get one), could someone please copy paste the full answer to the Parallax question?
Short version is that people are using the Propellor chip and certain PIC microcontrollers to display video by bit banging the VGA pins. This is extremely processor intensive and sucks a huge portion of the CPU time away from actually doing computer work to display video.

OzWizard

Jul 19, 2019
Short version is that people are using the Propellor chip and certain PIC microcontrollers to display video by bit banging the VGA pins. This is extremely processor intensive and sucks a huge portion of the CPU time away from actually doing computer work to display video.
Propeller chip generates VGA video by itself. No bit banging required.

mobluse

Sep 20, 2019
Is this FAQ updated to the latest? Because I know people that want to read the latest, but doesn't want to join Facebook.

I noticed in the FAQ that Features & Specifications links to the Facebook group, but it would perhaps be better if this links to the article in this forum, and that it was also the most updated version: "Please see the Features & Specifications doc."

Last edited:

frob

Feb 9, 2020
@TomXP411 can you edit the OP to not link through Facebook for the commanderx16 homepage. While I understand the reason to use FB at the start, FB is a barrier for many people.

EDIT: Also, thankyou for bringing this content out of facebook.

Reactions: Mike
May 22, 2019
can you edit the OP to not link through Facebook for the commanderx16 homepage.
Well, at the moment, everything on the home page points to the FB group.

And the one link that's not on the FB group isn't actually on the web site.
You can buy the premium PETSCII keyboard at https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/commander16-by-the-8-bit-guy.html

Although it's worth noting the price has gone up a little bit. I'm assuming this is dude to limited parts availability, thanks to China's current public health issue.

May 22, 2019
I watched the price creep up over the holidays. And was kicking myself for not buying it early.
@aowen10 actually designed the keyboard. if you want to get just the keycaps and equip a different keyboard, he should be able to help.

Or if you're skilled with graphic design programs, you can tweak the file here to meet your needs, then submit it directly to WASD to have keycaps printed:

I built that layout for VICE, but I haven't actually sent it to WASD for processing, yet. Since the files are open source, you're free to tweak it for your needs, and I'm happy to accept pull requests with new designs for emulators or custom machines, as well as different keyboard models.