Commander X16 Update (From David on Facebook)

May 22, 2019
David posted a message on FB today. The short of it is:
  • The Commander will use the 6502, at least for now. It will support additional memory by banking in 8K chunks in the cartridge memory pages at $A000.
  • Video will not be provided by the Gameduino. instead, David is testing two other FPGA designs for the GPU.

Here is the text of David's update:

There are some big changes I need to reveal. So let's open this can of worms. I've attached a memory map of the development board being designed. We've gone back to a 6502 setup with a 64K address space. However, the system will ship with 512K with RAM sockets to expand up to 2MB. But all of the expansion RAM will be banked in 8K chunks via the window at $A000. This design is much simpler and more elegant than how the C64 or Apple II banked their RAM. This eliminates the need for the 65816 and all of the crazy logic that goes with it.

There will also be several banks of ROM, so we can include many different programs internally. RIght now the only things planned for sure is BASIC and a ROM monitor.
Now, before you start screaming about wanting the 65816, we can still use it. Theoretically. And you'll still get 16 bit instructions. But, you won't be able to use the 24-bit address space. The plan currently is to develop with the 6502. Once the board is stable and all, we'll put the 65816 in there and see if it also runs stable. If so, we may use that instead.

Now, about the video. We ran into some roadblocks getting the gameduino working on a parallel data bus. So, we have 2 different people submitting custom FPGA video chips, which I will cover later in a different post where you can learn about them. Not sure which one we'll go with just yet.
I've also decided to have the board support a character LCD. Haven't decided which size to standardize on yet, though. This could be used for anything, including headless operation, or just for debugging. However, with a larger size such as 20x4, I could probably even get BASIC to run on there, as well as a nice ROM monitor.
On the kernel front, I've made some progress this week on replacing the video routines. More on that later. So,I think that's all the bombshells for now.

ToyMachine

Sep 12, 2019
Could somebody get him to add a link to this forum to his video description? Looking at the comment section of the latest video on the x16, people want updates, but they (rightly) don't want facebook.

Reactions: Fullauto556

knapik

Sep 13, 2019
It seems like there is one available in the video description. It was how I was able to discover this forum.

Reactions: ToyMachine

ToyMachine

Sep 12, 2019
It seems like there is one available in the video description. It was how I was able to discover this forum.
Well, I'll be. Is that new? If it was there before, I take comfort in the fact that a bunch of other people missed it too, as evidenced by the bellyaching in the comments about updates only being available on facebook.

Reactions: Midcon113

Midcon113

Sep 14, 2019
Well, I'll be. Is that new? If it was there before, I take comfort in the fact that a bunch of other people missed it too, as evidenced by the bellyaching in the comments about updates only being available on facebook.
Count me in as having missed it, even after it was added. :) Glad to have this forum for updates in addition to the videos.