Commodore on Rasberry?

Jack Murphy

May 22, 2019
So I had a crazy idea to find out if a commodore operating system could work on raspberry pi like an emulator. But I haven’t been able to find any, it would be very helpful if someone could point me in the right direction .

May 22, 2019
VICE can be compiled and run right on Raspbian.

Combian is a stripped-down Raspbian distro with VICE pre-installed.

RetroPi can also be installed on the Raspberry Pi, and you can install the VICE core into the RetroPi setup.

Are we seeing a theme, yet? VICE is the only current, maintained Commodore emulator. It's pretty comprehensive, though, with coverage of basically every 8-bit Commodore computer ever made.

RobClaggy

Supporting Member
« M² Supporter »
May 16, 2019
Altanta
The Geek Pub has a whole set of videos on this stuff... including stuffing a Raspberry Pi in a Commodore 64 and then running VICE to emulate a C
64! He did it for the 8Bit guy when he was on vacation once.

tony

May 19, 2019
I'd love to find a keyboard that has the C64 layout without being a hack of an existing C64. Probably a bit niche of a product, sadly.

May 22, 2019
I'd love to find a keyboard that has the C64 layout without being a hack of an existing C64. Probably a bit niche of a product, sadly.
I'm working on that... It won't be a perfect C64 keyboard, but will instead by C64 style keycaps for PC keyboards. Someone recently got a set of new keycaps made for the Mechboard, but the layout isn't perfect yet, since VICE needs a slightly different layout.

This is the starting point:

and I'm moving some keys around to make them work with VICE. I think I'm about ready to send the SVGs off to Max Keyboard, but I need to nail down which keyboard I'm using. I want a compact design (without a separate cursor key island) and no backlight, since the Max keys are not translucent.

This might be a good candidate:

As you can see, this keyboard isn't identical to the C64 layout, but it's about the closest you'll find without custom work.

Here's one possible keymap:

Other possibilities include putting F1, F3, F5, and F7 on the right column and using the 8 F-keys at the top for other things. The C128 emulator in VICE, for example, has 8 keys at the top that don't exist on the C64 keyboard.

Reactions: tony

kenmgj

Jun 24, 2019
Buffalo, NY
I think that I would be alone in this, but... I want basically an apple magic keyboard with a commodore key layout. It would work perfectly for me.

Reactions: TheGeekPub

BillyTse

Jul 3, 2019
Hi...RetroPie, Combian, and VICE should all work. I’ve had trouble getting a good build of VICE, so I’d suggest Combian, as it boots straight into the emulator with no front end nonsense.