Compaq LTE-series cooling fan

StenPett

Jul 31, 2019
Tromsø, Norway
The cooling fan on my Compaq LTE5000 is on it's last legs, to put it mildly. There was a horrible smell of burning plastic from it last week... This is part number 242185-001 for those who are curious. I've been trying to get my hands on a replacement for some time now, but all the ones I have found have the wrong plug (too big for the socket), and when modifying it to use the compaq plug, they don't run at all. I have tried both 12V and 5V fans, and the fans all work when I connect power to them, but the motherboard doesn't seem to be able to run them.

My question is this; I have searched for the better part of two months on and off, but I have not been able to find any mention on voltage/ampere for the fan. What are the specs for the stock fan? Or even better; does anyone know where I can find a new stock replacement (fingers crossed)?

May 22, 2019
Typically, the fan won't actually run until it's needed - usually when the CPU gets warm.

Have you checked voltage on the connector to see what the fan control is putting out? It will probably be a PWM circuit (pulse width modulation) at 5 volts. A multimeter should give you a clue that the jack is working, and an oscilloscope will give you the best information about the pulse width and duty cycle.

StenPett

Jul 31, 2019
Tromsø, Norway
Thank you for your sugestion. I have not tried that, as I don't have a multimeter (I do know where I can find one for cheap though). How do I go about using that? Do I just put the multimeter connectors to the exposed wires or something like that? I haven't used a multimeter since primary school, and that was nearly 30 years ago...

May 22, 2019
Yes, you'd set the multimeter to the correct range (something like 20 Volts DC) and touch the red probe and black probes to the exposed pins on the fan connector.

If there are no exposed pins, then you'd need to make a pigtail by using your old connector and stripping the wire ends.

I also strongly suggest grabbing a set of alligator clip jumpers, to make testing easier, so you're not having to hold a bunch of things at once.

Reactions: StenPett

StenPett

Jul 31, 2019
Tromsø, Norway
Can you settle for cheap, refurbished, no photo, no detailed specifications?

This place has it for $10, same part number, though it says "Hewlett Packard". This is not necessarily a huge deviation from what you are requesting, as there was for a while HP and Compaq merged together.

The fans I've been trying, are of the $1 on eBay variety, so yes, I'd settle for pretty much anything, as long as it works. I'll have a look at your link, and see what I find out. Thanks!

Dale Mahalko

Jul 25, 2019
It is possible this is wrong, but there isn't enough information to tell you more.

The Wikipedia article for Compaq says "Compaq was acquired for US$25 billion by HP in 2002."

And meanwhile the Wikipedia article for the Compaq LTE says it was made around 1996.

But the parts could have later been rebranded as being from Hewlett Packard.

I would suggest trying contact this seller before you buy, and ask if you could get a picture of it to compare to what you have.

StenPett

Jul 31, 2019
Tromsø, Norway
Small update, for those that are interested:

It turns out the generic 5V fan I connected worked just fine. It was just that it was so quiet I couldn't hear it over the sound of the old hard-drive. Yesterday I got the IDE2CF adapter I ordered 6 weeks (!) ago, and with that connected I could hear the fan ramping up as expected once the CPU heated up.

I now have a completely silent laptop, and I love it!

Reactions: TomXP411