Compaq Portable RAM error

VintageVic

Jan 16, 2020
I am working on my first restoration project, a Compaq Portable (not my first choice, but it was a steal!) with 256k total in RAM. I have replaced all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, and the CRT, And have replaced the foam pads in the keyboard. However, every time I start it, it gives me the error code 0020 201. It has banks 0-3 filled with 64kx1 RAM chips, so I think it is U45, however I can't for the life of me find it! I have made sure that all the connections are good, and all the ram chips have been socketed. Any help would be great!

Grumgi

Jan 23, 2020
You've probably done this, but just in case you haven't try replacing the RAM modules and testing each one of them socket by socket and see if you get a differing result.

Sorry I can't offer much advice outside of that, vintage laptops are completely out of my scope of knowledge.

VintageVic

Jan 16, 2020
Good idea! I should be trying that. It's just such a pain to put the motherboard back in after each test. I may mod a new power supply so I can test outside of the case, just need to find the pinout. I have a Commodore 64 that came in through ebay that I can hopefully use to test the RAM chips. Only problem is that it has no sockets, and only ceramic chips, which I'm not sure I want to mess with

VintageVic

Jan 16, 2020
I've tried the arduino route, but I've never gotten it to work. I thought the C64 would be my best bet because it uses the same 4164 (also known as 8264) chips