Compaq Portable - Software

cml37

Staff member
May 19, 2019
Washington, D.C. Area
Do you know about the options you can get for the card and what should be selected?
There are a fair number of DIP switch settings as I recall. I know in my case that the XT-CF conflicted with the address of my ethernet card, and I ended up changing the ethernet card address. And from there I didn't change any settings on the XT-CF card.

I think these are all about the same, you can choose address, whether or not to enable/disable the EEPROM (rumor has it that you could put the EEPROM on an ethernet card and boot that way), etc. Here is one card with settings: http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/xt-cf-lite

BobsTheDude

Mar 6, 2020
Not sure if you are still working on this but I have a Compaq and disconnected the hard drive(it works) and inserted: CF Emulator and using as a hard drive. Works perfectly and extends the life of the hard drive and it uses Compaq setup disks which are 3.31, which I do have.

djducky

Oct 16, 2019
Not sure if you are still working on this but I have a Compaq and disconnected the hard drive(it works) and inserted: CF Emulator and using as a hard drive. Works perfectly and extends the life of the hard drive and it uses Compaq setup disks which are 3.31, which I do have.
I'll have to see if it even has an IDE header, my drive is MFM I do believe.

djducky

Oct 16, 2019
While in there, before I take this whole thing apart... where's the CMOS battery located so I can check that. Anyone have any manuals, or diagrams for this beast they are willing to share?

Attachments

djducky

Oct 16, 2019
Happen to be able to help me with DOS etc when I get all the parts?

djducky

Oct 16, 2019
After disassembly:

I only see a coin battery on one of the expansion cards, so now id scouring the internet to confirm where the CMOS battery is?
So, in my research I am not sure it has one, though Im confused because usually you have to enter the HDD params into SOMETHING and it must be saving it, as I never had to enter the info every boot.

djducky

Oct 16, 2019
So, in my research I am not sure it has one, though Im confused because usually you have to enter the HDD params into SOMETHING and it must be saving it, as I never had to enter the info every boot.
Mystery Solved, me thinks it has no CMOS battery... I looked up the controller card for the HDD, and looks like its controlled by jumpers...

I guess i can put this baby back together.