Custom control board layout ( build thread )

jimmiD

Oct 1, 2019
hello all, first time posting here. also getting ready to make my first attempt at a cab build.

ive come up with my own layout for my control panel based on a Japanese style, found here

i made it fit the full size cab plans found at the Geek Pub. 27" x 9.75"

please let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions.

( see attached )

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: TomXP411

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
hello all, first time posting here. also getting ready to make my first attempt at a cab build.

ive come up with my own layout for my control panel based on a Japanese style, found here

( see attached )
I like the arc. I made a custom arcade stick with the two rows of three buttons in an arc like that. I did build the Bartop with the strait line buttons though. I was thinking at the time that I would have preferred them in the arc, but I didn't feel like making up a new template.

TheGeekPub

The Geek Pub
Staff member
May 15, 2019
Keller, TX
www.thegeekpub.com

( see attached )
That's a neat idea! I might make that into a template for the site if you're OK with me stealing it!

jimmiD

Oct 1, 2019
so this is the first time building something like this. and first time using a jigsaw on this level. that being said. initially i had trouble keeping the jigsaw straight and a lot of stuff ended up off square. but ill have to make-do.

i have no idea what im doing.

i modified the GP plans a bit. most for a taller marquee. and im using a 19" monitor so ive got to figure out a way to add a removable bezel and a way to support it.

a huge issue i have is trying to cut the notch for Tmolding with router got BOTCHED pretty bad.
a lot of places it is off center and some places it just got gouged.
idk how im going to resolved this. i guess i will just have to trim the edges where its not center, and use some glue where its gouged

Last edited:

jimmiD

Oct 1, 2019

control board and front door cut out.

speaker panel added
and trying to figure out just how the hell im going to mount the screen

test fitting the button layout. ( luckily i found access to a plotter to print this )

monitor support added and the piece that will become the screen bezel added.

jimmiD

Oct 1, 2019

bezel cut out. ( i think ive figured this bit out )
center hole is where a dual USB port for controllers will be.
the knob above the control board is a volume knob. it will be connected inline with the audio cord from the PC to the amp.

the screen is a DELL 19" ( which turns out to actually be an LG screen )
im going to glue some small pieces of board to the back of the bezel against the edge of the screen to keep it from moving while i get it mounted, and also ad a little extra support on the bottom of it.

the back of the screen is 1.75" so ill make 1.75" blocks for the board along the back of the screen to mount to. the screen has a metal lip that will grab the board. so vesa mounting might not be necessary but i may do it anyway.

jimmiD

Oct 1, 2019
these parts are coming it quick because while i took pictures, i neglected to post progress lol.

here is the monitor mounted up! i am pleased. the entire bezel slides up and out the back.
the tape on the monitor corners is where i used black tape to cover up the silver parts on the front of the screen.
the supports for the mount are not only glued to the bezel but also screwed in with corner braces.

another thing to note: i used 1/2" mdf for the bezel instead of 3/4". the monitor support piece being 3/4" and the bezel resting on the same track, this gives 1/4" of space on the monitor support in front of the bezel. this way, in the future i can use this to rest a piece of tinted acrylic in front the bezel for a seemless look.
this design will allow me to upgrade to a larger monitor in the future only having to change the main bezel piece.

Last edited:

jimmiD

Oct 1, 2019

speaker holes cut out.
im going to be using some 4" dual cone speakers i conveniently had laying around that will be perfect for

also in the background, fan hole cut out of the back panel. and a doggo!

jimmiD

Oct 1, 2019

control board cut out and buttons test fitted!
this layout is going to be awesome!

i changed the initial plan from having the single middle button to having two of the 1" buttons there for navigation.

jimmiD

Oct 1, 2019

i designed my own marquee graphic.

based on Stranger Things, i used the arcade sign from the Palace Arcade for the text.and the mindflayer there in the background.
still not sure how im going to print this or even mount it yet.