CX16 as IoT Device

rje

Nov 6, 2019
Perhaps the CX16 could be seen as an IoT device. Any thoughts about that?

I know I had some thoughts about it, but my mind is currently blank, except I remember thinking "the CX16 could communicate with the world as an IoT device, since such things are expected to be severely resource constrained", etc etc.

So I guess this post is a placeholder for when my brain resumes working, whenever that is. Thank you for your time.

May 22, 2019
It's not really a good device for those purposes. It doesn't have much (if any) GPIO to control external devices, and it has no native network capability. You can add a terminal server or ESP32 for networking, via the serial port, but an ESP32 is more powerful than the CX16... so why build a PC sized IoT device, when you can have a thumb drive sized unit?

Right now, I think my favorite IoT device would be either a Teensy 3.5 or an ESP32. Either can run languages like MicroPython, Lua, or even CP/M and BASIC, with the right firmware.

Reactions: grommile

rje

Nov 6, 2019
You can add a terminal server or ESP32 for networking, via the serial port, but an ESP32 is more powerful than the CX16... so why build a PC sized IoT device, when you can have a thumb drive sized unit?
Granted. It's the principle of the thing.

May 22, 2019
Granted. It's the principle of the thing.
well, then yes... there will be some I/O options that will allow you to interface microcontrollers... I believe a serial port is planned, and I’ve heard noise about a User Port, but I’m not certain what exactly that will be.