CX16 Keyboard.

GregZone

Sep 29, 2019
I agree, after the colour tweaks, the final version of this keyboard really does look awesome!

But even more importantly is how it will feel and sound, as I understand it is using the ultimate "clicky" keyswitches: Cherry MX Blue

All of my keyboards are Cherry MX Blue (I use dasKeyboards), and they are by far the best keyboards for everything! Typing, Gaming etc. etc.

Now, of course, the ultimate question... how much $$ including international delivery? :cool:

Reactions: codewar65

easyprototype

Sep 21, 2019
Canada
It is beautiful indeed.

Then I realized something. Do we know what character sets are going to be available on the X16?

Among the many things that would make the X16 useful is a native word processor that would support, for example, the OpenDocument format. Users could then port their work from the X16 to any modern computer and vice-versa. But for that the X16 would need to support at least one character set that is currently widely used...

Just a thought.

mobluse

Sep 20, 2019
Now x16emu supports PETSCII-UC, PETSCII-LC, and ISO8859-15 (but not at the same time). The character sets are copied from ROM to VRAM and can be modified there.

May 22, 2019
It is beautiful indeed.

Then I realized something. Do we know what character sets are going to be available on the X16?

Among the many things that would make the X16 useful is a native word processor that would support, for example, the OpenDocument format. Users could then port their work from the X16 to any modern computer and vice-versa. But for that the X16 would need to support at least one character set that is currently widely used...

Just a thought.
Characters not part of the PETSCII or ISO8859-015 sets would need to be provided by the program being used. So if your program needs additional characters, it would need to either provide them (by modifying the character memory in VERA) or render the text in a graphic mode.

emptybits

Sep 25, 2019
Canada
Had to look up ISO8859-015. Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-15#Codepage_layout

Probably the only deficiency of ISO8859 that makes me a bit sad is the lack of 8 or 10 characters (vowel accents for tones 1 and 3) that would allow writing Mandarin Chinese in Pinyin. e.g. jīngtǐguǎn gōnglǜ fàngdàqì

I get that ISO8859-015 is for Western European languages and that's probably the right balance to strike, given only 8 bits to work with. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomXP411

Hiraghm

May 18, 2019
Peri Fractic posted this on FB. Lovely design! I truly can't wait now.

View attachment 405
RetroManCave is doing a series of videos on upgrading an Amiga 500 ++, including a Vampire accelerator and keyboard adapter so you can use USB keyboards with it...
just wondering if this could be adapted to be used with such a machine... I'd just as soon use it as the keyboards presented in his video, as they're not full-stroke.

I've also come across a couple tutorials on adapting just about any keyboard to work with just about any PC.
Depending on the dimensions of this keyboard, it might be appropriate for a laptop and an all-in-one computer projects I have in mind.
So I'm very interested in at least one...

May 22, 2019
I'm sure you could use that keyboard, but as the Amiga doesn't use PETSCII, the keycaps would be a wasted investment.

However, by all accounts, that is a good keyboard, irrespective of the keycaps, and you can order it from WASD Keyboards.

Or you might look at cheaper alternatives...

Or this

Hiraghm

May 18, 2019
I'm sure you could use that keyboard, but as the Amiga doesn't use PETSCII, the keycaps would be a wasted investment.

However, by all accounts, that is a good keyboard, irrespective of the keycaps, and you can order it from WASD Keyboards.

Or you might look at cheaper alternatives...

Or this
but... but... I wanna use a CX16 keyboard...

Reactions: codewar65