Easter Egg in the Kernal!

DJtheRedstoner

Oct 20, 2019
I was watching this video about some bugs and easter eggs on the C64. There was one with some initials at $FFF6. I fired was curious so i fired up my x16 emulator and sure enough there was the word "MIST" there. After searching the Github repo, I found Mist64 is the biggest contributor on the Kernal and sure enough searching for the string "MIST" reveals it in the file vectors.s with the comment "signature".

I think its super awesome that a easter egg from the C64 has come over to this new computer.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 8.46.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 8.48.12 PM.png

Hiraghm

May 18, 2019
it's also a Copyright Trap, such as "paper towns" on maps or "mountweazels" in dictionaries.

In the Fred Saberhagen story "The Annihilation of Angor Aperion" , a ship is boarded by "berserkers" (think robotic borg). A researcher for the Encyclopedia Galactica prevents the crew from destroying his copy of the encyclopedia before the berserkers can get it, thus giving them information on the location of the nearest human worlds.

After driving off the berserkers, in one of the rescue vessels the researcher is put on trial for treason.
The evidence against him is put forward that the berserkers, although damaged, are probably able to reach the nearest inhabited world, Angor Aperion.

The researcher explains that that was his intent. Angor Aperion doesn't exist; they added it to the encyclopedia to catch plagiarists. So the berserk was sent to an uninhabited system, where it would be stuck due to its power shortage.

That's where I first learned about copyright traps.

Reactions: BruceMcF and kktos