Favorite Atari system

nsm0220

May 19, 2019
What is your favorite Atari system posted here to share your memories and experience with one

cml37

Staff member
May 19, 2019
Washington, D.C. Area
What is your favorite Atari system posted here to share your memories and experience with one
Definitely loved the 2600. My cousin bought a 5200 when it came out, and I loved the graphics improvement, but didn't care much for the controller. Never played much with any other model, but I bet I would have loved to have had an 800!

Spent some time not too long ago looking at how Atari 2600 games are written, and was pretty impressed that every single game basically has its own OS! Those were some talented developers back in the day!

tony

May 19, 2019
Friend gave me a 5200 recently - I did some modifications to make it use a more modern power supply (it originally had a combined power/rf box; which is hard to track down nowadays.) It took me about a *year* to track down some working controllers.

The games are intriguing but overall... The system's pretty awful. I think my fave would have to be the 7800. Full backwards compatibility with the 2600 and its own collection of slightly better games. Never did get to experiment with the Atari computers, always have my eye out for an 800XL or similar though to remedy this.

tony

May 19, 2019
Spent some time not too long ago looking at how Atari 2600 games are written, and was pretty impressed that every single game basically has its own OS! Those were some talented developers back in the day!
If you've not read it, Racing the Beam is an excellent book about the history, technology and programming of the 2600.

Reactions: cml37

Hawk

May 21, 2019
Adelaide, Australia
I have a soft spot for the Atari 400, as it was my first machine (although I always wanted to replace the membrane keyboard). But out of all the Ataris, I really like the industrial design of the XE series of 8-bit computers. I must be one of the few, as most prefer the XL series. I love the way that the XE series matches the STs. I only have an XEGS at this stage but am still looking for either a 65XE or a 130XE for my collection.

Reactions: alien1979

alien1979

May 26, 2019
I had a 600XL new back in 1982(?) that I had a lot of fun with. Met another Atari enthusiast in my neighborhood that sold me a 800XL a little bit later along with a modem, floppy drive, etc. Found a bunch of BBSs back then that I logged into almost daily. The 800XL eventually died. Fast forward to 2013 and I purchased a house with much more room. I went on the hunt for 800XLs. Found three of them and managed to put together one working unit from those. I credit the Atari (and Mom!) for my eventual career in IT.

B_Billy

May 31, 2019
My favorite will always be the original 800; I still have the one I opened up on Christmas Eve back in the '80s. I picked up a 130XE on Ebay a little while ago because I liked the look of it.

Much like alien1979, owning this computer led to my career in IT as well.

Reactions: alien1979

gnikanorov

May 20, 2019
I actually have to say that the 7800 so far is my favorite system. The system in on itself is vastly underrated from a graphical perspective, and the backwards compatibility with the 2600 makes it versatile. A close second, ironically in my mind, is the Jaguar. I don't think developers took full advantage of the capabilities of the system.

Reactions: msxenix and cml37

balloon

Supporting Member
« M² Supporter »
May 20, 2019
Japan
balloon.im
I immediately watched the "Princess Rescue" video and understood what porting was:

I could also add "Zippy":

I know that there was Pitfall as a wide area game at 2600. To some extent it may have been possible even at that time:

Reactions: cml37

Southoftheline

Oct 16, 2019
South Carolina
800XL. It not only was the second retro machine I ever saw, it was the machine I started watching demos on, and god they amaze me. I hope I can get one for myself, alongside a cassette drive so I can make some more memories with it.

HatCigarNeckbeard

Nov 10, 2019
Italy
Atari 800XE was my first ever computer. It was basically a rebranded 65XE sold mainly in Germany and eastern Europe (I was born in Czechoslovakia).
It didn't come with any games, but the built-in BASIC was enough to get me hooked for life.
Later when I did get some games, I loved to show off Rescue on Fractalus on it to my pals.