glad to kick off this forum on plastics i need help

buckrodgers

May 19, 2019
i restored an old emachines pc i had in my basement. its has some cracks in the plastics. whats the best way to glue it together. i tried supper glue but it failed again within a few weeks.

LorinMillsap

May 19, 2019
i restored an old emachines pc i had in my basement. its has some cracks in the plastics. whats the best way to glue it together. i tried supper glue but it failed again within a few weeks.
Unfortunately superglue has a low success rate with such things and has eliminated the possibility of solvent welding because it has contaminated the joint. It also limits the likelihood that epoxy will work without extra reinforcement.

If the plastic is ABS it can easily be solvent welded which can be done using clear PVC primer. Because it introduces zero foreign material if it doesn’t hold for some reason you can repair it with another attempt. Next is epoxy for plastic. Epoxies are extremely strong if they have a rough surface to adhere to and if they are actually mixed properly. If the joint is too badly compromised and needs extra reinforcement strips of fiberglass cloth can be saturated in epoxy and applied to the backside.

buckrodgers

May 19, 2019
can you help me with what you mean by solvent welding? I don't understand

also i think i can get the super glue out of the crack. i think i used way too much after watching mikes vic20 vid last night. i just didnt know what i was doing.