Grundig TV horizontal position screen

MarioAlberto

Sep 27, 2019
Hi, we are Mario and Alberto from Argentina, a few months ago we got a Grundig TV the version is Cuc 6880, the image is positioned sideways, I mean it lose a part of the screen and I don't find a way to move the screen. I found online a video of RGBROB on youtube that has the same model but a few inches bigger than ours

The one of his it has a menu interface when you press the "i" button in the controller, but I don't have the "Special Functions" option in the Menu, I have other 3 options, "Picture Menu", "Timer Functions" and "Tv Station Table", I have done a search online for knowing how to enter to the Special Functions menu, but I have found nothing. Recently I watched a video of 8-bit Guy with a Samsung tv where he moves the screen position by entering to a Special Function too. If anyone knows how to do this we will be deeply thankful! Thank you very much for your time!

PS: Here I'm posting some images for making myself more clear. Excuse my english!

GRUNDIGGGGG1.jpg

May 22, 2019
You might look around online for a service manual. There's usually a way to get into the service menu, like a 3 button sequence on the remote, and that will let you adjust things like the horizontal position.

MarioAlberto

Sep 27, 2019
You might look around online for a service manual. There's usually a way to get into the service menu, like a 3 button sequence on the remote, and that will let you adjust things like the horizontal position.
Thanks alot for your reply, I will try to find one and let you know if could make it! Take care!

Dale Mahalko

Jul 25, 2019
Apparently multiple Grundig controller board chassis are available with different sized CRT tubes and outer cabinets them, so you may not find a service manual for this exact number. There are many numbers on your device, so try looking for combinations of them. For example from this one manual...

1569632452120.png

This manual that is for Grundig, but not the model you mention, suggests pressing i then type 8500 to enter the service menu.

At around 9:25 you mention how the bars seem wavy or distorted. It has to do with voltage regulation in the deflection and electron gun circuits.

In old analog CRT TVs, if you suddenly cranked the analog dial from dim to bright, the entire picture would visibly enlarge and then shrink back down when the voltages stabilized again.

In cheap TVs ... the left-right grid-line shifting distortion that you notice is just normal, they are not building an ultra-precision computer display so the circuit design is a bit sloppy, and if the image bulges a little... oh well, fine. For anyone not using a fine grid-line test image, they probably will not notice the scanline misalignments that you are seeing.

In an actual high detail computer monitor, sometimes these wavy lines are due to electrolytic capacitors very slowly going bad. The capacitors are not at the point where they are obviously swelled and bulging or leaking electrolyte, but they are drifting away from the design rating. But which ones actually matter?? It is hard to tell you which capacitors would need to be replaced, and there may be a hundred or more of them.

Attachments

Last edited:

MarioAlberto

Sep 27, 2019
Apparently multiple Grundig controller board chassis are available with different sized CRT tubes and outer cabinets them, so you may not find a service manual for this exact number. There are many numbers on your device, so try looking for combinations of them. For example from this one manual...

View attachment 285

This manual that is for Grundig, but not the model you mention, suggests pressing i then type 8500 to enter the service menu.

At around 9:25 you mention how the bars seem wavy or distorted. It has to do with voltage regulation in the deflection and electron gun circuits.

In old analog CRT TVs, if you suddenly cranked the analog dial from dim to bright, the entire picture would visibly enlarge and then shrink back down when the voltages stabilized again.

In cheap TVs ... the left-right grid-line shifting distortion that you notice is just normal, they are not building an ultra-precision computer display so the circuit design is a bit sloppy, and if the image bulges a little... oh well, fine. For anyone not using a fine grid-line test image, they probably will not notice the scanline misalignments that you are seeing.

In an actual high detail computer monitor, sometimes these wavy lines are due to electrolytic capacitors very slowly going bad. The capacitors are not at the point where they are obviously swelled and bulging or leaking electrolyte, but they are drifting away from the design rating. But which ones actually matter?? It is hard to tell you which capacitors would need to be replaced, and there may be a hundred or more of them.

Hi Dale, thank you very much for your answer, the video of youtube it's not mine, it's from RGBRob, an user that has another Grundig like mine, but I understood what you mean...I became a member on a web page from Spain and I could get the Service Manual for the model I have, but I honestly don't understand too much, on page number 6, it says about "Servicing Work after replacing the module" I don't know which one is the one I have to adjust to move the screen horizontally to the right. I uploaded the PDF on mediafire, I hope someone can help me with it, thank you very much for your time!

May 22, 2019
Does the three button sequence apply for all crt tvs?
No. I was pointing that out as one possibility.

On one TV I had, you had to press something like Select and 5 at the same time. On another, I had to hold the front panel MENU button when starting the TV up. It's always different on different brands, as each company and engineering team hides the magic button a different way.

MarioAlberto

Sep 27, 2019
No. I was pointing that out as one possibility.

On one TV I had, you had to press something like Select and 5 at the same time. On another, I had to hold the front panel MENU button when starting the TV up. It's always different on different brands, as each company and engineering team hides the magic button a different way.
Hi, I haven't found a way yet to do it, but I'm still searching online. I will do a better search on remote controller configurations for entering that menu, thank you very much!