Hello, from Ontario, Canada

NMD

Jul 6, 2019
Hey everyone, I'm Nick. I don't actually have any 8-bit computers in my life any more, but I still have fond memories. I delivered newspapers as a 12 year old for a year or more saving for my first computer, the Vic-20. My aunt worked at a shop that sold them (and other big boy office equipment and computers of the time) and she gave my mom a break for a few hours and took me to work. I played Gorf and played with the speech synthesizer cart and tried my hand entering a program or two from the manual. I fell in love, and asked my aunt if I could photocopy the manual. She gave me some disused yellow paper, and I manually copied the whole manual onto it.

It would be quite some time before I could afford the more than $400 it would cost for a new Vic-20, but I used that manual to teach myself BASIC programming. I didn't get arrays at first, that took more re-reads of the manual and some attempts at programming before it made sense to me. I wrote my first program on ruled paper in the school library without owning a computer or even having used one for more than a few hours. It was my kid-like version of PacMan. When I finally got my Vic-20 I typed the program in and it mostly worked. I was hooked.

I got to know other 8-bit computer owners, and eventually became their "go to" guy for computer support. My neighbour got a C-64, and when I was over to help his daughter with her math, they let me play Jumpman on it. I was hooked... I had to find a way to get a C-64, but my family was poor, and it would take forever to save the paper money up for a C-64 and a 1541 drive. My neighbour introduced me someone working for an investment company that wanted a 20 questions questionnaire program to run on their Compaq luggable when they set up a kiosk at the mall. I wrote the program for them and in exchange they gave me a C-64.

I had typed in programs from magazines of the day (Byte, Compute, Ahoy, Run, Transactor and others... in fact I was then spending most of the money from my paper route buying computer magazines.) I found you could only learn so much from the magazines and I really wondered what exactly all the numbers were in machine language programs like the free word processor SpeedScript. I set out to learn machine language, and soon fell in love with 6502 assembly.

I got really good at assembly. I forget the name of the assembler I used, but I recall it used to be something like SYS 700 and that the code was typed in as "BASIC" lines thereafter. This led me to getting a chance to work on a contract job for the Super Snapshot cartridge. I forget the exact details, but I recall their chief coder calling me and telling me I had 4k to do the character set editor, and asking me if I could manage it. It took me an evening to throw it together, and it was something like 1.5K total. I got another call back from their coder telling me how impressed he was. That cartridge sold a lot of copies, I always wondered if anyone ever used my code for something cool.

From that point, I had a C-128 and then I got into the Amiga... that was such a great computer. I still have fond memories of AREXX and something called MUI the Magic User Interface. I actually coded and released a piece of shareware using it, having it published on a Fish disk even... but by then the Amiga was mostly surpassed by the IBM PC revolution.

At some point I even had a Commodore CDTV... and an Amiga 2000T... but all good things come to an end... I too eventually gave into the future.

I got a beige box PC XT clone with a 40G hard card. By that time I was in university as a programmer, working my first co-op job programming in Vax BASIC of all things.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomXP411

NMD

Jul 6, 2019
I actually came here to post to the @The8BitGuy to ask him if he's ever come across the SuperSnapshot cartridge... and if he ever considered covering it in an episode.

NMD

Jul 6, 2019
And also, to find out if anyone remembers which C-64 assembler it was I was using that had the SYS 700 to invoke it (or was it 900, memory is a little hazy after all these years).

Last edited:

cml37

Staff member
May 19, 2019
Washington, D.C. Area
Welcome! Sounds like we have similar stores.. though mine was with PC compatibles (i.e. I became the block "fixit" guy for them.. and even started a small company fixing computers).

Glad that you are here!