Help! Cracked trace / missing pad

Toby

May 17, 2019
I have an old radio I got as a gift when I was a kid. I tried to mod it and I guess I got the solder pad way too hot and it fell off! I tired to scrape the board clean and just solder the terminal back but no matter what I do it won't make contact. Anyone know how to repair this or did I just permanently toast it?

julie

May 17, 2019
I don't know, but I have to guess that is a no go. No expert here though.

msxenix

Honeydew is the money melon
« M² Supporter »
May 19, 2019
Plainville, CT, United States
I have an old radio I got as a gift when I was a kid. I tried to mod it and I guess I got the solder pad way too hot and it fell off! I tired to scrape the board clean and just solder the terminal back but no matter what I do it won't make contact. Anyone know how to repair this or did I just permanently toast it?

View attachment 43
Whare are we looking at there? is that where a component went, or is that just a trace

May 22, 2019

View attachment 43
I would use some fine wire, and find another component that this trace connects to. Solder the wire to that component and to the leg that this solder pad was supposed to connect to. Tack the wire down on the board using some glue, following the route this trace took, and you should be okay.

Here's a guide to using jumper wires on a PCB:

Toby

May 17, 2019
I would use some fine wire, and find another component that this trace connects to. Solder the wire to that component and to the leg that this solder pad was supposed to connect to. Tack the wire down on the board using some glue, following the route this trace took, and you should be okay.

Here's a guide to using jumper wires on a PCB:
I will look this over. I never considered jumper wire.

Looted

Jun 16, 2019
So, after reading through....

Can you glue the terminal back on?

one way to 'repair' is to prep a multi-strand wire with solder, fit it into the hole, add an offset pin glue it in place. Next solder a jumper wire from the new pin to the trace.

another option depending on the size needed is use a rivet to replace the missing contact. Rivets this small can be found at sewing or leather working stores.

Swift34

Oct 2, 2019
VA, US
I have fixed my fair share of PCBs and other electronics in my day! Once I crossed the leads of a multimeter right at the battery input of a 3KVA UPS! Needless to say...there was one big explosion! The leads were vaporized and there was a charred hole the size of a quarter where both of the spade connectors used to be! I was able to fix the board phisically by using an old pcb, drmel, and some epoxy as filler...redrilled the holes and used jumper wire to the through-hole spade connectors. My advice in fixing something like this is to make sure you have a good secure mechanical connection before focusing on the electrinal connection!

Cheers!