IIGS vs ][e Platinum

Hiraghm

May 18, 2019
For a long time I wanted a Mac SD/30 (I used to have one back in the 90s, and missed it).
I've also wanted to get an Apple ][e Platinum with the numeric keypad. I've never played with Apple ][ software. I thought the IIc was cool, but I wanted the option for expansion, and thought the ][e looked cool, too.

But, this 8-Bit Keys video about Apple's Mistake changed my mind... now I want to get a IIGS.
Apple and Steve Jobs' Biggest Mistakes

TheGeekPub

The Geek Pub
Staff member
May 15, 2019
Keller, TX
www.thegeekpub.com
I've also wanted to get an Apple ][e Platinum with the numeric keypad.
I've been looking for a IIe Platinum for months. Lots of them out there but most need a lot of work and are missing parts. The really good ones are just selling for far too much. I suspect I will be very upset in 10 years when they are double the price and I still haven't bought one. :-(

TX_Dj

Staff member
May 18, 2019
There's really nothing significantly interesting about the Platinum //e - everything about it is superficially different, really. The release of the Platinum system also marked a new revision of motherboard, but there's nothing significantly different there either beyond using 64x4 RAM chips instead of the older 64x1 chips. IMO the keyboard on the platinums are terrible compared to the original //e keyboard.

But if you only have room in your collection for one II, the IIgs is the way to go. There's only a few things the IIgs can't do that older models can, and there's so much more capability available with it that it doesn't matter that you can't play some old cassette games from the 70's.

nsm0220

May 19, 2019
I've been looking for a IIe Platinum for months. Lots of them out there but most need a lot of work and are missing parts. The really good ones are just selling for far too much. I suspect I will be very upset in 10 years when they are double the price and I still haven't bought one. :-(
they also need their caps replaced as well that's another headache people don't want to deal with