Is planet x3 compatible with mcga?

raquanapkine

Nov 1, 2019
Just aquire a model 25 from ibm, they have mcga video support (pre-vga stuff with 320x200x256c) Is the vga version have been tested on that (really not widespread like really not much seen outside ps/2 model) graphic standard?

bladamson

Oct 23, 2019
Appalachia
www.mrpolecat.com
I don't want to speak in regard to the particulars of Mr. Murray's game, but every 320x200 VGA game I've tried on my Model 25 has displayed fine (the machine being fast enough to play them comfortably is a whole other matter though lol). It's the 640x480 16 color mode that isn't supported, but it does have a 640x480 monochrome mode.

That being said, the internal CRT is actually a normal 31.5 kHz analog RGB tube, fully compatible with VGA. You can install an 8-bit SVGA card and make an adapter to plug the internal CRT into it, and get any number of colors (even truecolor) at up to 640x480 resolution.

(The above assumes that you have the color version of the Model 25. The grayscale ones used some kind of oddball grayscale VGA tube that isn't supported by all vga cards, from what I understand. But the system boards and built in video card are identical between the color and grayscale models; it's just the tubes that are different.)

Last edited:

raquanapkine

Nov 1, 2019
Well from what i've read some vga graphic function aren't implented outside of resolution and color (something about page etc) in mcga.

Yes it's a color model, seen the video with the vga mod, pretty cool, could be a great way to do alternate thing if the crt fail (for now it seem rock solid no burn no lose of sync.) It's the 8088 model with 720k do some challenge to transfer data on it until my gotek floppy emulator arrive (without taking in account the cable mod i have to do!) But looking forward for trying planet x3 in mcga. I like cga for old game but for new one i could take some extra color hehe.

There's not a lot of video information on the model 25 (like floppy emulator on it), i could add my own vision once i'm more into it.