Japanese PCs (MSX, PC-60/66/80/88/98, FM-7/FM-TOWNS, X1/68k, Pocket Computer, etc...)

hamlet

Sep 15, 2019
The MSX scene is pretty alive and active. there are plenty of new games, most released on cartridge. And hardware. So much amazing new hardware. MIDI interfaces, FlashrRoms with music extensions, even new computer. This week we had a presentation of three new different computer.
-The SX-Mini is a stripped down OCM (One Chip MSX) with a very small footprint. Like the Zemmix it is FPGA based. The firmware is open source an is developed until today. It provides MSX2+ support.
-unlike the OCM clones, the SM-X uses first time a bigger more powerful FPGA. It supports HDMI output and tons of extras. The most complete MSX until.
-The MSXVR is a complete different beast. It comes with a RasPi 3b build in and a build in keyboard.
Original hardware getting old and expensive, so these new machines are a gift to all interested MSX newbies. Altought I own many MSX, the SX-1 is one of my favorites.

balloon

May 20, 2019
Japan
balloon.im
I have some information about SX-1 Mini, SM-X and MSXVR. Interestingly, I learned from Facebook's share.

My MSX environment is happy with the current emulator. I had a 1chipMSX in the past, but I rarely used it.
If I have a financial solution, I might consider MSX hardware instead of 1chipMSX.

Last edited:

hamlet

Sep 15, 2019
There is also a MSX cartridge board available to connect a RasPi 3b. Nice way to get started with MSX. The project is open source, so are the Gerber files free to download.