LCD surveillance monitor as C64 monitor

LordKhyron

Dec 22, 2019
Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried using a surveillance system monitor (CCTV monitor) as a C64 monitor. It has composite inputs (AV RCA) and is a 4:3 aspect ratio LCD display.

Here's one for example on Amazon:

Currently in my area, a 1702 is ridiculously priced and I was thinking of using one of these LCDs while waiting for more 1702s to appear.

I bought a collector's C64 recently (it's beautiful and in amazing shape) and just don't have a monitor for it yet.

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
I purchased a 12" one a little while ago to put on my bench when I need a monitor there (same as Mike used on the Table Top Arcade recently). The picture quality is lacking a bit when using the composite port. Being composite, maybe it is the signal in, maybe the 19 is a little different in the end too. I use a 17" VGA monitor and an Extron IN1502 Video Scaler that accepts SVideo, and I am happier with that for when I am using the Commodore 64. You could use a larger VGA 4:3 monitor though too with the Extron unit. If the composite didn't work out as well as you hoped, you could also pickup an IN1502 and use it with that monitor to the VGA input.

LordKhyron

Dec 22, 2019
I purchased a 12" one a little while ago to put on my bench when I need a monitor there (same as Mike used on the Table Top Arcade recently). The picture quality is lacking a bit when using the composite port. Being composite, maybe it is the signal in, maybe the 19 is a little different in the end too. I use a 17" VGA monitor and an Extron IN1502 Video Scaler that accepts SVideo, and I am happier with that for when I am using the Commodore 64. You could use a larger VGA 4:3 monitor though too with the Extron unit. If the composite didn't work out as well as you hoped, you could also pickup an IN1502 and use it with that monitor to the VGA input.
Thanks for the reply! Might look into the IN1502 you mentioned.