Looking for an impressive, but meaningless desktop program

May 22, 2019
So this is a hard thing to explain, and even harder to find in Google.

I'm looking for a desktop computer program that basically does nothing, but looks impressive.

The story... I have an extra monitor on my computer at work. It's hooked up to my laptop, but I really just want it to sit there and look pretty. The ideal thing would be some sort of widgets display that presents what looks like network statistics.... but all of it fake.

I started out with a Star Trek LCARS app, and while it looks fantastic, it's too obviously fake. So I'd like something more like what you'd see in a network operations center - something that looks reasonably real, but is still nonsense.

Ideally it would be something that you might see on a background screen in a scene like this:
1572379908356.png
-- https://www.us.ntt.net/support/noc.cfm

Any suggestions? I'm open to ideas.

May 22, 2019
If your network admin won't flip out and your network switches aren't too smart, you could maximize a terminal/command prompt and run tcpdump in promiscuous mode.
Heh, no... that would get me fired. :)

I was thinking of something more like this....

1572392539200.png

But with fake/random data.

May 22, 2019
Prometheus may also work. May be easiest to download a Docker container. Let me know as you have questions.
A friend last night turned me on to something called Rain Meter. That may do what I want, and Grafana looks beautiful. One of those will do what I want.

thanks, guys

Reactions: cml37