Looking for your opinion

Pete1964

Aug 17, 2019
Hi all! Looking for opinions on an idea I’ve had for ages. I’m thinking about what in my mind would be the ultimate sleeper build. Using a Commodore PET case and retrofitting modern gaming hardware inside. Let the conversation begin and please just constructive discussion!

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
My feeling is generally that if it can be kept original I like to see that. There are less of the old machines that are serviceable or repairable all the time. I wouldn't sacrifice a working unit for a project like that. I would expect though that you could find a unit that is not practical to repair, If it can not be repaired (reasonably), then I think it is better to make use of it in another way. I had a 1541 with a bad head that was never going to be repaired, so I made use of the case for something more useful than a boat anchor. It has already donated parts to get two other drives in working order.

Pete1964

Aug 17, 2019
My feeling is generally that if it can be kept original I like to see that. There are less of the old machines that are serviceable or repairable all the time. I wouldn't sacrifice a working unit for a project like that. I would expect though that you could find a unit that is not practical to repair, If it can not be repaired (reasonably), then I think it is better to make use of it in another way. I had a 1541 with a bad head that was never going to be repaired, so I made use of the case for something more useful than a boat anchor. It has already donated parts to get two other drives in working order.
I certainly wouldn’t use a working repairable PET for this. Not to mention the fact that they are far to expensive on eBay at the least. I will search the flee markets and junk shops mostly. The early PET’s cases are my favorite design of all time. Especially the earlier models, ie. The 1000 model

Reactions: Markeno
May 22, 2019
This is similar to something I want to do... I want to mount a modern motherboard in an old portable computer case. Only, I want to emulate the old hardware and run CP/M or DOS on modern silicon.

Anyway, If you're going to go all out, you could easily put a Micro ATX or Pico ITX computer in the PET's lower section. The display would be a bit more of a challenge, but I'd look for a 4:3 flat panel that will fit the space occupied by the Pet's CRT.

The keyboard is going to be the real challenge... that calculator keyboard is just plain horrible, and it's going to be a challenge to find one that even functions. You could certainly connect the keyboard matrix to a modern computer, using a microcontroller, like a Teensy or an Arduino Leonardo, but I think I'd rely on a modern mechanical keyboard for day to day use.