Mega65 and CX16

Funnybones

Sep 12, 2019
So I was just looking at the Mega65 project and it looks like they have raised the funds to get molds made for their case..

I'm wondering if David spoke nicely to them they might be open to the idea of doing a run of cases that could be badged and used for the X16.

They really look like nice cases and it seems like they would suit the project.

Just a thought.

May 22, 2019
The CX16 is being designed for the ATX form factor, and it will use off the shelf parts for the case, power supply, and keyboard.

BruceMcF

May 19, 2019
Yeah, it seems more a case of using some of their Kernel code than using their cases.

Funnybones

Sep 12, 2019
The CX16 is being designed for the ATX form factor, and it will use off the shelf parts for the case, power supply, and keyboard.
I thought there were plans for three boards of varying sizes .. Was hoping for one the smaller ones .. I have machines and fpgas out the wahzoo ... space is becoming a concern.

May 22, 2019
I thought there were plans for three boards of varying sizes .. Was hoping for one the smaller ones .. I have machines and fpgas out the wahzoo ... space is becoming a concern.
those will all use standard PC hardware.

the Mega65 case will always be custom hardware and more expensive than a cheap PC case and keyboard. I’m not sure if the Mega keyboard is USB or matrix, but that’s also an issue as the current Commander needs PS/2.

BruceMcF

May 19, 2019
Doesn't seem reasonable for them to be doing customized cases for each size of board ... for people who want the case, if they get a smaller/cheaper Stage 2 or Stage 3 board, it'll just be in a case with that much more extra room inside.

If they stick with standard sizes, and leave the option of just BYOC, the Stage 2 might be mini-ITX ...

... and the Stage 3 might be compatible with a Raspberry Pi 4 case.

May 22, 2019
As Bruce said, at this point, I believe the mid-size board will be some version of iTX. The next size down from that is Mini-STX, which is a bit bigger than a NUC, maybe around the size of a Mac Mini.

I actually hope they do NOT adopt the Raspberry Pi "B" form factor. It's really kind of a terrible configuration, when you think about it. I/O should only come out of one side of a computer motherboard. Once you start using two or three sides, you really limit your options. This is one reason I've moved away from the Pi and have started using cheap NUCs for semi-portable applications.

That reminds me, I need to get another NUC to I can set my Altair terminal back up... or maybe get a mini-STX motherboard that I can stuff into my C64X chassis.

Reactions: BruceMcF

johntdavis

Feb 1, 2020
I actually hope they do NOT adopt the Raspberry Pi "B" form factor. It's really kind of a terrible configuration, when you think about it. I/O should only come out of one side of a computer motherboard. Once you start using two or three sides, you really limit your options. This is one reason I've moved away from the Pi and have started using cheap NUCs for semi-portable applications.
I couldn't agree more. I just got a Pi 4b and really love it--I've even got it running 20 degrees C below stock just by sitting it on some empty space on my giant laptop cooling pad, so I feel safe pushing it a bit. But, I was extremely disappointed in the weird I/O layout. At minimum, (semi-)permanent plugs like power, display, and ethernet should be on the same side. At the moment it's taking up way more space than it should because it's got an ethernet cable sticking out of it. It's not going anywhere, but it just looks sloppy.

(That said, I know slightly more than nothing about PCB layout/design, especially for SBCs. I'm sure there's a very specific reason it's arranged like it is. The whole thing just made me realize somewhere along the line I've gotten persnickety about cable management.

May 22, 2019
(That said, I know slightly more than nothing about PCB layout/design, especially for SBCs. I'm sure there's a very specific reason it's arranged like it is. The whole thing just made me realize somewhere along the line I've gotten persnickety about cable management.
It's just that way because that makes it compact. If the USB and Ethernet jacks were put on the same side as the HDMI and power connections, the board would be larger. (As much longer as it is wide.)

I keep looking around for some sort of ATX adapter for the Pi - something that will bring all the ports to an I/O shield and let me mount a Pi in a small PC case... but I still haven't found one.

BruceMcF

May 19, 2019
I figure the form factor for Stage 3 will mostly be "whatever is cheapest". So if "around the rim" gives a smaller board and a smaller board means a lower build cost. I reckon that may well be what happens.

But someone getting an argument in early might swing that.

One way it might come with all ports on one edge is if the Stage 3 handles expansion ports by having an card edge connector to bring out the expansion port connections. That could then plug into an optional back-plane card, removing the cost of the expansion ports themselves from the base Stage 3 card.

Then it would make sense for the connectors to be on the back, at right angles to the card edge bringing out the expansion port lines.

But we are still waiting to see the actual physical configuration of the expansion ports, so that is just an idle hypothetical at this point.

Reactions: johntdavis