MSX Retro systems

May 22, 2019
Has anyone tried any of the FPGA MSX retro systems, such as the OneChip MSX, SX-1, or Zemmix FPGA MSX?

I'm thinking of digging into MSX, and while I'll start with an emulator, I'd like some actual hardware, too.

hamlet

Sep 15, 2019
The OCM is an open sourced FPGA, that's why we can develop new system updated until today. That's a great benefit for all lucky users who one a original machine but also for the clones like the Zemmix, the SX-1 and SX-mini. These machines all work like charm, comes with much RAM and Music expansions and make a FlashRom cartridge obsolete. Now there are three new machines available:
-The SX-1 Mini is a stripped down OCM clone with a very small footprint
-The SM-X is a clone with a much bigger FPGA allows more expansions and supports HDMI. This will be the killer-machine for audiophiles. It also comes with a different firmware.
-The MSXVR is a RasPi 3B based machine once not a FPGA. It's a software based solution but very complete. the only one which emulates the R800 which is used in the TurboR.
OCM based machines are open sourced, the MSXVR isn't.
The MSX community is ver happy to have three powerful releases at one time (but didn't know it).

hamlet

Sep 15, 2019
The good thing is that the OCM was open source from the beginning. So all Zemmix and other clones benefits from the firmware updates which are made until today.