My Retropie Setup

gnikanorov

May 20, 2019
Since I got it to work, and I just put together an Entertainment shelf from Wayfair, I thought I would share pics of my Retropie setup.

So this laptop is a HP dv7 Core i5. You might think that this is not a 'true' retropie setup. But the reason why I decided to go with this, is because this laptop is very diverse.

It has a built in enhanced ATI Raedon video card, and even to this day is very expandable. I used this laptop for almost 10 years as my work laptop before the initial failure of my files on it...and then I switched to a Mac. When I installed Ubuntu 18+, it screamed to life again. As a side note, I initially tried this setup on Windows 10 and Emulation Station...but it did not work well.

Ubuntu has always been my favorite Linux derivative...so in this case, I decided to go with that. The only challenge was that the HDMI driver never worked properly. I got around that through utilizing a VGA to HDMI adapter from RadioShack.

This little box reduced the redundancy on my setup to zero. It's an amazing product if you can get your hands on it...and I see no difference in resolution.

Going back to the Ubuntu install however, between the Retropie install and Ubuntu with WINE, the setup gives me more options than just playing video games.

This is my setup for control. Simple, but effective... A PS3 controller I bought for $20.00 from Walmart, and a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

And here we go.

Cue FM Love by Anders Engen Jensen...and this project is complete. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGeekPub

gnikanorov

May 20, 2019
Very nice!
Thank you. There are still some systems I need to fix in the setup. The Arcade ROMS I had from an older MAME setup do not entirely work. I need to go through the entire list and segment out the ROMS that work and the ones that I need to diagnose, and run the fixer. Game Gear and Neo Geo also are two systems I need to fix on the setup.

In addition, I want to get the Commodore 64, DOS and older Windows games working properly. Some do work, but it's about configuration in a lot of cases. Wii games and Dreamcast are two others I need to work on. The Wii games work...but are slow. I'm debating if I should look into hacking into the GPU drivers, or if I should get an external GPU for this laptop.

RobClaggy

Supporting Member
« M² Supporter »
May 16, 2019
Altanta
I built an arcade about a year ago using Mike's arcade plans. It's one of the funnest projects I've ever done and my whole family still uses it almost every day.

About the only complaint I have is that it seems like every time MAME updates, my ROMs break and I have to go on a download spree to find the latest versions. What a royal pain. MAME needs to stop breaking things with every update.

gnikanorov

May 20, 2019
I built an arcade about a year ago using Mike's arcade plans. It's one of the funnest projects I've ever done and my whole family still uses it almost every day.

About the only complaint I have is that it seems like every time MAME updates, my ROMs break and I have to go on a download spree to find the latest versions. What a royal pain. MAME needs to stop breaking things with every update.
So I can tell you that I am still in search for a fully working ROM set. I finally gave in and switched a very old set that I know worked 10+ years ago with a fresh set...and even now, I am still encountering issues. I feel like the only way to approach this is to take a QA approach and test each ROM, configure appropriately, and set. That is what I am doing with the latest set, and it seems to be working...

I am going ROM by ROM and using the AdvMAME and it's variants as the baseline. Anything that does not work with AdvMAME, I am marking off and will be running one of the many cleanup apps out there. It worked with my earlier set and I got a lot to work...but not as many as I would like.