Planet X3 Digital Download

supercharlie20

May 24, 2019
I've looked around but I can't seem to find the Planet X3 Digital Download. Do I have to buy a floppy? I am intending to run on DOSBOX.

May 22, 2019
The long and short of it is this:

The people who backed it on Kickstarter have exclusive access until David has shipped all of the Kickstarter copies.
After that, he will sell his remaining inventory of physical copies.
At some point after that, he'll offer the a digital only sale.But he wants to sell down his inventory, first, before he starts selling digital-only copies.

Having said that... if you buy a physical copy, you get the digital version. It was the same way with X2. I bought X2, downloaded it, and started playing it for several days before the physical copy showed up. And I haven't even opened my copy of X3 yet. It's still sealed, with his autograph on it.

Reactions: alien1979

Speedy

May 19, 2019
Tom's spot on. You can buy it physically and get the digital download right now, or if you want to wait for stock to dwindle down a bit, you can get a digital only version later this year.

The8BitGuy

The 8-Bit Guy
Staff member
May 16, 2019
Kennedale, TX
www.the8bitguy.com
Sorry for late reply. But, the above answers are more or less correct. I will offer the digital-only download eventually. I recommend the lite version for people who don't want the boxed version. I really feel that having a printed user manual is essential for playing this game. The PDF is included with the digital download, but it isn't the same has being able to look in the manual while the game is up and running. Most of the people that end up not liking the game don't like it because they can't figure out how to play it well. And they can't figure that out because they didn't read the manual.

alien1979

May 26, 2019
I did the same and tried out the download version while waiting for my physical copy. I am very impressed with the quality of everything that was shipped to me. Great job!

ibmpc5150

Aug 20, 2019
I want to buy it with original release (first release version not adapted with update).
(I don't want updated version.)
I wonder it is only way to buy it as retail media + box.

ibmpc5150

Aug 20, 2019
The digital download is available for $15 in the store.. But out of curiosity, why would you want the original release?
Because I'm collector of a lot of 5.25" IBM PC games package and retail disks (over 2000+ kinds), but I prefer to get original release.
I heard that digital download version is adapted update version (not original) from another buyer.
So I don't want the digital download, but I wonder original retail disk is Not adapted update version.
If original physical copy disk package is not updated version (original), I'll buy it as standard package.
I also know that original version seems to have time/year stamp in 2018.(Not 2019)

Last edited:

The8BitGuy

The 8-Bit Guy
Staff member
May 16, 2019
Kennedale, TX
www.the8bitguy.com
Because I'm collector of a lot of 5.25" IBM PC games package and retail disks (over 2000+ kinds), but I prefer to get original release.
I heard that digital download version is adapted update version (not original) from another buyer.
So I don't want the digital download, but I wonder original retail disk is Not adapted update version.
If original physical copy disk package is not updated version (original), I'll buy it as standard package.
I also know that original version seems to have time/year stamp in 2018.(Not 2019)
Well, there is no difference in the packaging or the labels. It's all the same. The only difference is the added video modes to the new version and a few bug fixes. I no longer make and distribute the old version and I'm honestly not even sure if I even still have the disk image for the old one as I don't use it anymore. So, good luck finding one.

ibmpc5150

Aug 20, 2019
Well, there is no difference in the packaging or the labels. It's all the same. The only difference is the added video modes to the new version and a few bug fixes. I no longer make and distribute the old version and I'm honestly not even sure if I even still have the disk image for the old one as I don't use it anymore. So, good luck finding one.
Ok, I've ordered Planet X3 for MS-DOS computers - Autographed Box Combo.
I've downloaded it as Digital. File seems to be updated in May 2019.

Last edited: