Planned Networking Support?

Jesse Litton

Sep 14, 2019
I know it's not exactly "retro" to have networking on an 8/16-bit computer. But I'm working on a C64/CX16 demo game that would really benefit from multiplayer... and it would be nice if the other player didn't have to be in the same room.

Since we have so much room in the kernel and so many possibilities with expansion boards I was wondering: Is there anything in the works?

Midcon113

Sep 14, 2019
I'd like to second this but for a different reason - I would want to hook this up to my home network and be able to transfer files to and from it via an Ethernet connection.

Aloz1

Sep 19, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
It's been discussed at length on the FB page. Networking will not be included in the base system, but will likely come as an accessory for the expansion port at a later date.

christo

Sep 16, 2019
I think an http support module would be great in a new 8bit computer. That way you could do an app store and lots of simple 8bit software that fetched data from a URL just like a file operation without having to implement a full tcp/ip stack and socket library in the OS. This would solve many people's main desires to be able to fetch software from their local network as well.

Reactions: VincentF