Replacing Commodore Keycaps

Screech

Oct 19, 2019
So I've heard second-hand that the cherry keycaps fit the commodore 8-bit keyboards. Has anyone been able to confirm this? I didn't properly track the temperature during a retro-brite experiment and the original keycaps started melting so they're no longer usable. I'd prefer to use modern keycaps (I have a re-labeling method) if possible, but don't want to buy them without some assurance they will fit.

May 22, 2019
No, they do not fit. The Commodore stem is larger than the Cherry stem, and Cherry keys aren't meant to resist upward force, so the spring would just push the cap off the stem.

Screech

Oct 19, 2019
No, they do not fit. The Commodore stem is larger than the Cherry stem, and Cherry keys aren't meant to resist upward force, so the spring would just push the cap off the stem.
Still, what about removing the spring? The keyboard itself has a small upward resistance without it. I bought a couple of keys for a few dollars to see if it might work. It would be nice to have an alternative to paying $100 or a C64 or VIC 20 keyboard just for keycaps. It won't be the original, but on this particular project, the goal was to use all new parts except for chips. So if these keycaps prove stable without the springs.....

The stem part, I can see that being an issue regardless. I'll post if I'm able to hack together a reliable solution.