Retro Arcade Build... Is it me or does the curve not work?

ayanefan

Aug 29, 2019
Hey,
I started on the Retro Arcade yesterday and basically got into a snag ...somewhat. I'm trying to figure out the curve to do the side cabinet but every time I draw it, it just doesn't look quite right. The diagram in the plans look like the curve is just slightly off at the bottom making it look like there is more cut out area than when I draw it out. I don't know how to explain it but the bottom part on the diagram looks "flatter" than the curve I get.
I basically took a screw, stick and pencil and put the screw end on the bottom inner lip where the curve starts and the pencil to the top inner part where the curve ends. Then I put the screw end on each point then did the X on the table then created the curve. But dang it.... just doesn't look right. Just not "curvy" enough.

Do you have a quick write up on how you did the curve???

Thanks,
Ayanefan

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
I assume you mean Mike's Geek Pub Arcade Plans? The Full Size or the Bartop, I take it is not the Tabletop.

If it is the Bartop 4.0 plans. I think I used a radius about 10" on a simple compass I made up. It may have been 9.5" or 10.5". The starting point will go "off" the edge on the one or off onto the other areas on the other half. That was the primary critical issue I had with figuring out the plans, and if it is too steep it will cause problems, if it is too shallow, it will make it so you can't get a second "side" out of what you have left. I only had a very narrow strip I cut out of between the two pieces.

You can see my pieces laid out as they were cut out. I did slightly change what pieces I took out from where compared to the plans. If you look at the first picture, you can see the very minimal scrap cut from between the two side pieces. The reason there is a small "gap" between the outer corner side and the scrap is because that tiny bit that is missing is the little bit outside the lines that I left on the piece. I left that little bit there so that when I clamped the two halves together I then had a little bit to cut off still letting them be identical, but making sure I had enough material to get the other half out. You can see the other "side" the scrap piece against it has only the saw blade gap.

My door ended up just a little bit narrow, I don't know if my measurement was off or what. The other issue I had was where the Marquee Top (B) met the Door Frame Top (F), they should have been mitered to come to a proper meeting angle and not strait cut. I don't know how to work out the angle before final assembly, if I do another, I will not final cut them until assembly. I liked my solution for that though and am happy with it. The door wasn't too bad, I picked up a little wider hinge and that sorted the bit of extra gap and fully hid it.

ayanefan

Aug 29, 2019
Hey Markeno,

That's an awesome build you made. I checked your pieces and the curve looks almost identical to mine so I think I'll be ok. I tried to work on it last weekend but ended up working on my wife's PowerPoint slides (dang). Thank you very much for the reply and I will reread your thread for encouragement. :)

ayanefan

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
Thank you. It would never have looked that good without that Filler Primer that Mike recommended. It is pretty amazing stuff. Mike's looks flawless, mine looks pretty good. I am sure he has had more practice with it.

You are very welcome. If you are still wondering if it will work out, you could take a large piece of paper and transfer it to that lay it on the board to see. At the narrowest point on the back I have almost right on 8.25". Good luck, I hope to see your progress on it.