Retro Pi and Pi 4

thefarcanalian

Jan 8, 2020
Duncan, BC, Canada
Has anyone tried doing a mame console on a Pi 4?

I see RetroPi doesn't have support for a Pi 4 - yet:
does NOT work on the recently released Raspberry Pi 4. We are currently working on support for this.
I just ordered a Pi 4 and am wondering if anyone has any input on using one in a Mame arcade set up?

May 22, 2019
My experience with the Pi 4 has been not so good... even with a heat sink, the unit gets hot fast and goes into thermal throttling. One it throttles, it's actually slower than a Pi 3. So I haven't used my Pi 4 for the purpose for which I bought it (a terminal for my retro computers.)

thefarcanalian

Jan 8, 2020
Duncan, BC, Canada
Hmmmm. Thanks Tom,

I guess that's why I see so many "kits" using a fan. Thanks for the heads up. I only bought a heat sink model. Maybe I'll look into a fan and post my results here if anyone is interested.

skspurling

Jan 8, 2020
It works great once you get a fan on it. Not sure about composite out, but I ran a 4Gb model on two 10 inch HDMI screens and it looks and runs great with a recent release of Rasbian buster. There are a few screen tweaks you might need to do. It's a newer product, so they have a lot of bugs to knock out, and most of them are cleared up by now. Has Retro Pi jumped to Buster? I know that Jessie to Buster was a big jump, and there are always system changes that take a while to account for. You have to have a recent version of Buster to get the Pi 4 to work, and the video core is different. There may be a lot of tweaks to get it working on the new hardware. Just give them some time. It took a bit for the pi 3 and Jessie to work with Retro Pi properly.

thefarcanalian

Jan 8, 2020
Duncan, BC, Canada
Yes, it looks like Retro Pi is making the move to Buster:
RetroPie 4.5 for the Raspberry Pi is based on Raspbian Stretch. This may be our last image based on Stretch as it looks as though the Raspberry Pi foundation are now concentrating their efforts on the recently released Raspbian Buster. Some parts of RetroPie already work on Buster on the Raspberry Pi 1/2 and 3 but it’s not officially supported yet.
source:

Good to hear it's OK with a fan, though I like a fanless setup. maybe a GIANT heat sink will work. I ordered these and will see how it goes.

How do I tell if it is throttling, other than reduced performance?

Last edited:

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
I have just loaded Retro Pi on 2 Pi 4s. Starting with "Raspbian Buster with desktop " Then "RetroPie Manual Installation"

Then in RetroPie you can set it to start with RetroPie instead of the desktop. The splash screens don't work. I don't know how to get back to the normal desktop once switching RetroPie to start, without going back to switch it back.

I have tested various games on it, I haven't found something that works on a Pi3 that won't work on it so far. I figure there is some stuff, it is still not officially supported.

Really I would have kept with a 3B+ for RetroPie as the 4 isn't supported, but I couldn't see paying more for a 3B+ than for a 4 4gb model practically.. Supply and demand I guess they aren't making as many.

I have both in this case:

I have had no heat issues to this point. I played for fair lengths of time testing and setting these up. I like them so far.