RetroPie

RetroRob

Oct 23, 2019
So, the main use my Raspberry Pi 3B now is my RetroPie setup. I've acquired around 3500 ROMs for all sorts of consoles like Atari 2600/5200/7800, Lynx, SMS, Genesis, 32X, NES, SNES, Game Boy, and even arcade. Best little micro console in my opinion.

Space is an issue for me since I live in an apartment and don't have the luxury of having a man cave to store all sorts of game consoles and retro computers in (though I'd love to). I also understand acquiring and using ROMs is a controversial issue and a legal gray area, but the way I see it, just about all of these games are abandonware. I don't see much harm in downloading ROMs for 30+ year old games.

So what's your stance on ROMs and using a Pi as an emulation box?

May 22, 2019
I've started using a MISTer for emulation, rather than a Pi, since FPGAs do a much better job of emulating classic hardware. Compared to a real, vintage computer, an FPGA tends to have almost no extra latency, for example, where a software emulator may have several frames of delay while responding to control inputs.

However... RetroPi is a great emulation package, and I love its all in one nature. If I was building a casual gaming rig, that's definitely something I'd stick on the list as a possible core.

cml37

Staff member
May 19, 2019
Washington, D.C. Area
RetroPie is great... naturally it essentially is an integration platform bringing together EmulationStation, RetroArch, and a ton of emulators, most libretro based. When everything integrates well, it works great. However, I had at least one problematic controller which required some hacking at the configuration.

I also integrated my Pi to boot both RetroPie and Raspbian (I basically have EmulationStation as a desktop shortcut). Can share the instructions on how to do that with you if you are ever interested.