RF to AV needed

dcarlson314

Jun 25, 2019
Howdy all!

I just bought this, hoping I could easily convert RF to AV/HDMI but I’m at a loss as to why this won’t give me a signal after trying the RF output from a TRS80 MC-10 and an Atari 800XL ...

Has anyone used this or something similar? This was built normally as a mini DVR/tuner for broadcast tv over the airwaves but happens to have a RF coaxial input that I assumed I could simply plug my old computers into and convert it to something my LCD monitor can display. I figured this would be less bulky than using an old VCR for the demodulation but it doesn’t display anything from the computers. Cable tested and works... going to try to find another way to test the RF input of this device but this all might be moot if I discover that this thing won’t work in the way I’m hoping for.

Thanks for any help!
-DC

Last edited:
May 22, 2019
"Receive Over-The-Air Digital Broadcast "

It's a digital tuner, and you're trying to connect devices with analog TV outputs.

You'll need something with an analog tuner. If your monitor has VGA, VGA TV tuners are still fairly easy to find. If you only have HDMI, then it might actually be cheaper to buy an inexpensive TV. The analog tuners tend run $100 or more, and I can buy a new (but small) TV for less than $90.

dcarlson314

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks Tom!

I knew that the device receives over-the-air broadcasts but the part I embarrassingly didn’t let sink-in was the word “digital”.

I’ll return the item, but you mentioned VGA being an option. The monitor I’m using is an old Dell flatscreen with VGA, S-Video, DVI, Component and Composite inputs. It works great for Commodore and Atari computers but my poor old TRaSh80 MC-10’s only have RF output. (“TV” I think it says)

I’ll look into a VGA TV tuner... I had no idea that was an option! I really appreciate the help!

"Receive Over-The-Air Digital Broadcast "

It's a digital tuner, and you're trying to connect devices with analog TV outputs.

You'll need something with an analog tuner. If your monitor has VGA, VGA TV tuners are still fairly easy to find. If you only have HDMI, then it might actually be cheaper to buy an inexpensive TV. The analog tuners tend run $100 or more, and I can buy a new (but small) TV for less than $90.

May 22, 2019
Thanks Tom!

I knew that the device receives over-the-air broadcasts but the part I embarrassingly didn’t let sink-in was the word “digital”.

I’ll return the item, but you mentioned VGA being an option. The monitor I’m using is an old Dell flatscreen with VGA, S-Video, DVI, Component and Composite inputs. It works great for Commodore and Atari computers but my poor old TRaSh80 MC-10’s only have RF output. (“TV” I think it says)

I’ll look into a VGA TV tuner... I had no idea that was an option! I really appreciate the help!
oh, if you have composite inputs, then an “RF Demodulator” will do the job. It’s a tuner front end for composite devices.

Or, as you were originally thinking, find an old VCR. :)

Markeno

Jul 19, 2019
hobbytronics.home.blog
I will in no way give a positive review of the below device. But what you would be looking for is something like this that "works".

Composite to RF is much more common. Taking a Composite video source and sending it to RF for Channel 3/4. Those are for like taking the Composite and converting it to RF which is not what you want. I have one of those from back in the day when I was connecting newer devices to my old analog tv.

The device you want would basically be a RF Tuner that takes in RF and outputs to Composite (maybe you would find one that actually goes strait to hdmi I don't know), such as what the link above appears to be. That could then be converted to another signal such as HDMI or another output source with a secondary converter.

I don't know if these are around or if you would be interested into looking into something like this but someone did make a modulator replacement that changed it over to Composite video and audio at some point in the past:

dcarlson314

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks to all who've replied! I really appreciate the info! I ended up getting this in today:

Hopefully this will work... but, I really, REALLY like the thought of converting the MC-10 (and CoCo's) to output composite instead. Thanks @Markeno for that link! I'll be diving into that soon.

Thanks again everyone!

I will in no way give a positive review of the below device. But what you would be looking for is something like this that "works".

Composite to RF is much more common. Taking a Composite video source and sending it to RF for Channel 3/4. Those are for like taking the Composite and converting it to RF which is not what you want. I have one of those from back in the day when I was connecting newer devices to my old analog tv.

The device you want would basically be a RF Tuner that takes in RF and outputs to Composite (maybe you would find one that actually goes strait to hdmi I don't know), such as what the link above appears to be. That could then be converted to another signal such as HDMI or another output source with a secondary converter.

I don't know if these are around or if you would be interested into looking into something like this but someone did make a modulator replacement that changed it over to Composite video and audio at some point in the past:

Reactions: Markeno