So what was your first computer?

Grumgi

Jan 23, 2020
I'm a little surprised no one else has made a thread about this, so I guess I will. I suppose I'll post it in this board, seeing as the possible answers to this question are not limited to any specific board (such as apple, commodore, etc) This is not restricted to first computer you owned, but rather the first one you did any extensive work on. Feel free to share any stories regarding how you came into possession/found it.
I'll start.
As I recall, my first PC was a Compaq Presario SR17XX (Don't remember the exact model, we're talking 13+ years ago) running a bootleg Windows XP SP3 copy. I believe it was 64 bit as well. I had the thing loaded with a bunch of breakout clones and it output video to a FP5315, which I still have and use today, although not for my main PC.

I remember it was a hand-me-down from my dad when he upgraded to a new PC running Windows Vista (upgrade is subjective in this case). He got it at a Best Buy palling along with my uncle. Now, as we know, Best Buy is not always transparent with their transactions. Almost fell into a scam where they'd take a new PC, bring it out back and swap it for a refurbished/store model under the guise of 'getting things set up'. My uncle saw through this tho and demanded that they have it without any such 'tests'. Guy's perceptive, and taught me a lot about vintage hardware.

What about you guys? I'd love to hear your stories!

Reactions: Rokken
May 22, 2019
My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20. I had seen some of these computers in the brand new computer lab at my school, but I changed schools just after the computers showed up, so I was never able to get any time on them. (I spent one lunch break going through the beginning of the VIC-20 manual.)

So my brother and I worked for two months to save up the $80 for the computer, and then we all went to K-Mart and got the computer and a cassette drive.

We eventually got a Commodore 64 about two years later, then I got a Commodore 128. for Christmas in 1985. I used that 128 until I wore the keyboard out - by the time I finally upgraded to a PC, I'd collected a 1764 RAM expansion, a 1571 floppy drive, a 1581 3.5" floppy drive, and even had a dual-monitor setup on my desk, using separate displays for the 80-column VDC and the 40-column VIC chips.

I also bought a telephone modem, and I spent many hours on BBSs all through the late 80s and early 90s on my 300bps Volksmodem. At 300bps, I could actually read faster than text appeared on my computer's display - but I managed to eventually trade a used CD player for a 2400bps unit, which I later adapted to use on my PC (at least until I could afford a real PC modem.)

Eventually, I moved to an 8088 based XT, since I needed to run the software we had at my college. But that's another story entirely....

Last edited:

grommile

Nov 24, 2019
Northampton, UK
Our first computer was the TRS-80 Model III that Dad bought sometime between January and August 1981. (We had a ZX80 or 81 at one point as well, but I can't remember the relative timing because I was, like, five at the time.)

My first computer was a Commodore 64 that got bumped out of the computer room (because we had that many computers and I was the only one who was using the C64) into my bedroom when I was, uh, probably around 11 or so.

The first computer I did any meaningful amount of programming on was a PC with a 100MHz AMD K5, running Linux.

scott1328

Jul 22, 2019
My very first computer was a Commodore Vic-20. I received it as a high school graduation present in 1983. I upgraded memory to its maximum with the super expander and a 16k memory cartridge and a 1541 disk drive. In 1985, I purchased my C64 from K-Mart. They never cashed my check. After I graduated from college, I donated my C64 to the housemates I was leaving behind, and I got a C128 in 1987. In Spring 1985 I got a part time job in college. I spent my last two years of college writing math education software for the Apple II+ computers. I was unable to convince the management that the C64 would have been an ideal market for our product. The company I worked for was operated by the university and we sold our software to hundreds of middle and high schools across the country. In 1992 I finally gave in and bought a PC clone and put away my commodore computers. To my eternal regret, I left all my old commodore computers in the care of my parents, who tossed them out sometime in the early 2000s.

Aramis

Jan 29, 2020
First one I used? Apple II in elementary.
First one in the house? Dad had an acoustic coupling printer-style dumbterm... issued from work, so he could access the mainframe.
First one owned in the house? My TS1000...

Robat

Feb 10, 2020
Essen, NRW, Germany
My first computer was pretty ordinary: A C64C, that I bought from my cousin when he upgraded to an Amiga.

I actually tried it out a few weeks ago and it is still working fine, except that I had to use a lot of force to get any response out of the joystick. :LOL:

Attachments

rick7

Feb 4, 2020
My first computer was pretty ordinary: A C64C, that I bought from my cousin when he upgraded to an Amiga.

I actually tried it out a few weeks ago and it is still working fine, except that I had to use a lot of force to get any response out of the joystick. :LOL:
Lucky you!!!! There is nothing ordinary about the C64C. Very fine computer! I had one after my C64 burned out... I am restoring a C64 and a C64C will be my next project!!!

artik

Jan 5, 2020
My first computer was ZX Spectrum 48K... It was actually a clone me and my brother got at 1992 (yes, 92 not 82... it was former USSR).

It had slightly upgraded ROM - it included a monitor program and turbo loading mode (that hadn't ever been reliable) and a keyboard of same layout as UK Spectrum but somewhat better keys, joystick port and reset button.

It was a great machine I learned programming on it. I had games, and of course the best game of all Elite.

Next in line for me GASM/DASM, HiSoft Pascal and C and some other cool programs.
I even managed to implemented multi-threading and context switching using assembly and interrupts. In 92 it was outdated machine but it was what I had and it was blast.

Reactions: Aramis

StenPett

Jul 31, 2019
Tromsø, Norway
My first computer was a C64.

My first console was a Sega Master System.

I can't remember the make of my (mum's) first PC (I think it was an Olivetti), but it was a 286 @ 8 MHz, with 640k ram, 4MB HDD, EGA graphics, and PC speaker only. It ran MS-DOS (3 or 4, I believe), and Windows 2. I had Civilization, Sim City, and Commander Keen 1+2, and I played the snot out of those games...

Rokken

Sep 13, 2019
Honestly, I don't know. All I know is that it was some sort of HP machine, and the front and possibly top of the case was almost cheese-gratery in appearance. Was a hand-me-down from my dad, but it died in 2013 and we left it at a house we sold off years ago because it stood outside in the rain. Little did I know at the time that water damage isn't too bad if the computer isn't plugged into anything... It at one point had Windows 2000 on it, but later on I upgraded it to XP, even after both Vista and 7 were available, and then my dad put Mandriva on it after I learned the hard way what malware was.

As for first computer I owned myself that wasn't handed down to me, it was a Lenovo ThinkCenter M55p and that thing was just awful, still sitting on a shelf on my bookcase never to be used again for much more than spare parts if need be. I also got a Lenovo G555 laptop, and the silicon in that thing straight up melted. It was a fairly widely reported issue, too. To this day I go out of my way to attempt to not support Lenovo when possible.

BrdG

Mar 16, 2020
Roommate & I soldered together a MITS Altair 8800. My roommate ordered it assembled, but it came in kit form with credits for upgrades.

CK75

Oct 5, 2019
Germany
The first computers I ever worked on were the ones in our school's IT lab which was quite developed for the timeframe (1987) and region (GER) I come from.
Those were mainly IBM 5160s, a couple of 5150s and two 5170s - but they were no harddrives (probably stripped, because, you know - students ;)). Most of the other schools around had terminals (OS9 or something) instead - we had floppies - we had our data ;).

Today I do have one XT in my collection *proud owner*.

Apart from "work" I had an VC20 (VIC20) and an Atari 800XL - both with datasettes... around 1983... oh boy - now I feel old.

call1n

Mar 28, 2020
My first computer was a packard bell 486 with 4mb of ram. it ran windows 3.1

i think it is possible to make a quantum computer using standard computer hardware.
in fact i think these older computers are actually EASIER to engineer at the quantum level because the way they have a simpler layout.