Space Raiders for the Osborne 1 and Portable Software

Ralph090

May 28, 2019
I have a game for the Osborne 1 called Space Raiders by Portable Software that I got a few years back with a bunch of other Osborne disks and documentation. Apparently, they made mail order games for the Osborne in the early 80s. The only references to either one that I've found are in a magazine called The Portable Companion, which reviewed some of their games. Does anyone know anything about the company or have any experience with their products?

The game itself seems to be a Star Raiders/Star Trek clone, although I can't check or speak to its quality because I still haven't fixed my Osborne after it blew up a while back and I don't have the code card to get past the copy protection. That'll be fun to decipher. It did get a favorable review in The Portable Companion, though, so I doubt it's that bad. It also came with a couple of product catalogues (which is how I found the Portable Companion articles), one of which advertises an Atari joystick adapter for the Osborne called the O-4 Joy that seems to have worked by being plugged in between the keyboard and the... keyboard plug... and mimicked pressing the arrow keys. Anyone know anything about that?

Link to a picture of the envelope, disk, and manual (the picture was too big to upload apparently):

Ralph090

May 28, 2019
Very interesting. I have my Osbourne working now and have "played" a few games on it. It would be nice to see this one working!
Sorry for the late reply. I'd like to see it also. I'll post a follow up once I get it working and if I can get past the copy protection without the code card.