sprite colour palettes (vera 0.8)

Threesheds

Sep 20, 2019
Hi all,

I'm ploughing through vera 0.8 to get a head start on R31 coming out, and I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions about sprite palettes please -

I've taken a screen grab of the default X16 256 colour palette (can't remember where from now, must have been one of David's videos I guess). Sorry the quality ain't great.

Bitmap in CX16 notes2.png

Question 1:
For a mode 0 sprite (4bpp, 16 colours) am I correct in assuming that the nybble palette pointer in the low half of sprite attribute byte 7 should be set to the left hand hex value ($0 - $F running down the left hand side of the image above) of whichever row of 16 colours I want to use for that sprite..?
E.g., if I wanted to use the greyscale palette (second row down) I'd set the palette pointer to $1; or if I wanted to use the bottom row, I'd set the palette pointer to $F, yes?

Question 2:
For a mode 1 sprite (8bpp, 256 colours) am I correct in assuming that, since there are only 256 colours in total in the whole palette, the sprite's palette pointer will have to be set to $0 to get all 256 colours? And I assume the palette pointer still has to be set to $0 even though there's nowhere else it can point to get all 256 colours?

thanks in advance,

DennisJ

Sep 20, 2019
Just messing around with sprites and can verify that you are correct on Question 1. I am not sure about Question 2 however!

Hi all,

I'm ploughing through vera 0.8 to get a head start on R31 coming out, and I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions about sprite palettes please -

I've taken a screen grab of the default X16 256 colour palette (can't remember where from now, must have been one of David's videos I guess). Sorry the quality ain't great.

View attachment 240

Question 1:
For a mode 0 sprite (4bpp, 16 colours) am I correct in assuming that the nybble palette pointer in the low half of sprite attribute byte 7 should be set to the left hand hex value ($0 - $F running down the left hand side of the image above) of whichever row of 16 colours I want to use for that sprite..?
E.g., if I wanted to use the greyscale palette (second row down) I'd set the palette pointer to $1; or if I wanted to use the bottom row, I'd set the palette pointer to $F, yes?

Question 2:
For a mode 1 sprite (8bpp, 256 colours) am I correct in assuming that, since there are only 256 colours in total in the whole palette, the sprite's palette pointer will have to be set to $0 to get all 256 colours? And I assume the palette pointer still has to be set to $0 even though there's nowhere else it can point to get all 256 colours?

thanks in advance,