Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT Battery leakage

Remy2220

Jan 1, 2020
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT and at first it didn't power on. I opened it partially and than alot of corrosion (see picture).
It was spread al around the laptop, luckily the mainboard looked fine expect the battery connectors for the RTC and the backup battery.
After disassembling, vinegar made quick work of the corrosion. I wanted to find replacement batterys, but I'm not sure if I have to have the same battery type.
Battery 1 was 3.6V 30 mAh NiMH and I replaced that with a Li-ion 3.7V 600 mAh battery. Battery 2 was a 7.2V 110 mAh and I replaced that with a 7.2V 780 mAh Li-ion battery.
But still after 3 days of trying numerous things it will not power on and display anything. No beeps, no fan spinning, no hard drive spinning. The only thing that happens is that the power led, on-led and the main-battery led (when plugged in) turn on. The caps lock key blinks most of the time with a pattern like blink-nothing-blink-blink and sometimes it happens with blink-nothing-blink-blink-blink-blink. And I have also had that it won't stop blinking. Without the 'new' batterys the power led and on-led flash briefly when the power button is pressed and than the power led flashes orange. I have tried numerous things like removing the cd-rom and the hard drive, trying an external display, but nothing seems to work.
Does anyone have a good idea?
Thank you in advance.

corrosion.jpeg

Remy2220

Jan 1, 2020
Hello again,
Okay, fast forwarding a day I now have 3 Ni-MH batteries (saw that I wrote batterys, oops). They are all the same, 3.6V 320mAh. I connected 2 of them in series to get 7.2V. The 2 pin connector for the 7.2V Backup battery is still intact, but the 3 pin connector for the 3.6V RTC battery is broken. I can't use it anymore. The point is that I dont exactly know to what pin I need to wire the positive and what pin the negative. There are possibly 5 options.
P1P2P3 (from top to bottom with the palm rest as the bottom):
x - + or
- x + or
- + x or
+ - x or
+ x -
(P = Pin, x = N.C., + = positive, - = negative)
Hope this is somewhat understandable.
I tried a few thing with the 3.6V battery to the pins, but it still is dead and gives or the blink-nothing-blink-blink or the never-stopping blinking.
And thanks in advance.

new batteries.jpeg